I've tried to find other posts about it and have found varying opinions.

When I bring home my puppy in November I am planning on her having limited outings and contact with other dogs until she is fully vaccinated.

Some say to socialize immediately, others say wait until the pup is fully vaccinated. Which school of thought do you follow? (She will be coming to me at 8 weeks old)

Views: 639

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I know not to take her to my store and to avoid areas with high dog traffic. I already am very cautious when coming home from work. Clothes go straight in the washer and I take a shower. Good call about leaving a pair is work shoes in the car though.

I socialized my puppy right away, and very happy that I did. I think that as long as you make sure the other puppy or dog is vaccinated and you aren't taking your puppy to dog parks or someplace with a lot of dogs that you don't know then you'll be okay. In Southern California there is a dog training facility, Zoom Room, that offers puppy preschool classes which allow puppies 8-12 weeks old to be as current as they need to be on their shots and still attend basic obedience with other young puppies. It's a great socialization hour and really cute to watch! 

I would also take my pup out to the front yard so that he could observe others walking by, lawnmowers, children, etc. Now as he's getting older he does great with all of the above and is great with meeting strangers. 

I've seen a great socialization check list going around that kept me busy. I invited over bearded friends, kids, old people, wore silly hats, sunglasses, vacuumed, used power tools. Car rides in the kennel, outside the kennel. Skateboards. Bikes. etc We introduced him to dog friends inside the house, the ones I wasnt scared to confirm they had all their shots. I told all my friends who came over to take their shoes off and said he just licks and eats anything on the ground, that way they didnt think I was crazy for worrying about parvo on their feet. I live in a heavy dog area so we were careful until 16 weeks in public. But I carried him around my over stimulating block several times. Mostly just walking and ignoring him. I didn't want to pet or give too much affection if he was nervous with me walking him around the block. Let him deal with being nervous. etc. Theres tons of things for you to do before taking him on walks where other dogs go. Take him to a coffee shop and sit with him on your lap as he watches people and things and people say hi to him. Etc. SOOOO much learning happens before 12 weeks, take advantage of that age.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service