This is my first Corgi puppy to train on my own. ekk! He is pretty laid back and well behaved but he has the attitude of not listening, like a teenager. He is 5 months old. I have a few puppy training books but cannot seem to figure out where to start. I have been working on come for about a week now and he will only come if i am outside with him or he sees a bag of treats..how do i/when should i ween out the treats? After come what should I work on, sit, stay, place!!? i just don't know. Please let me know any feedback you have or worked for you and your corgi's! Thanks so so much :)

Thor and Carrie

Views: 277

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Keep a logbook.  Plan your work, work your plan.  Make a list of all the commands you want to master.  Make sure you know EXACTLY what each of them means.  Be organized, this is like homework except keep it fun.  I like a fannypack for the dog tools.  Plastic screw-cap pill bottle for TINY TINY treats (you'll give a lot of them).  Google or search this site for "Really Reliable Recall", Leslie Nelson -- choose a 'magic word' that puppy never hears in casual conversation, introduce it when you KNOW puppy will come, has to be restrained from not coming, lavish over-the-top praise and reward, do it 3x daily, short sessions, fun, eventually wean off treat rewards, but do regular refresher-training, don't overuse it, this is reserved for when you really need it.   

Read the FAQ.  Expect pup to go through a rebellious "I will not come" phase in adolescence.  Make sure the whole family is with the program.  Work often, short sessions, keep it fun.  Time invested now will pay off handsomely.  

Read Patricia McConnell, "The Other End of the Leash".  

One trick for "come" is to make it a chase game:  "come come come come come" while clapping hands and playfully walking away from puppy.

Thanks for the tips. I never thought of a log book but defiantly doing that. Great tips Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the tips. We practiced "come" three times yesterday and he did great! Once he masters that everytime we will go on, I found a few classes too! thanks again

I would ask if you can watch a class before you enroll. That way you can check out how the trainers relate to the dogs and owners.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service