Hi all,

Coby broke his tooth by chewing nylabone dental dinosaur on Tuesday night.

I visited several vets with this photo, and they were saying that either taking tooth out or root canal are the options.

and... regular vets are not doing root canal surgery, and i had to make an appointment with specialist, but then first appointment available is on April 12, 2012. (actually, i took that date tho....)

but then, i really don't want to take his tooth out.... he's only 4 years old... (well,, turning 5 years old next week)

also, an appointment seems too far away, im hoping it doesn't get infected.

anyone who been through same situation, please let me know... what will be the best way for Coby.


Views: 347


You need to be a member of MyCorgi.com to add comments!

Join MyCorgi.com

Comment by JENNY & COBY on March 27, 2012 at 12:02pm


Coby is at the vet right now, i just dropped him off.

He will do the x-ray while he gets dental cleaning, and they will decide to leave the broken tooth or remove it.

Thank you for all the advise. :)

Comment by JENNY & COBY on March 23, 2012 at 2:19pm

Thank you all!!

Coby's going to see his doctor today. and let's see what the doctor says about it. 

@Snickmom, i found out when i try to brush his teeth at night. (i try to brush his teeth 2 or 3 times in a week.. but that day was lucky)

Comment by David Whitehouse on March 23, 2012 at 9:08am

My 11 year old Corgi had a tooth pulled yesterday for the same reason.  He is much older, so I assume his teeth are not as strong as they once were for chewing.  It was not a big deal.  He came bouncing home like nothing had happened and gobbled down his dinner, even though he has stitches in his mouth where the tooth was removed.  It did cost me about $600. 

Comment by Snickmom on March 22, 2012 at 10:36pm

Dumb question, does a dog let you know they broke the tooth, or are you checking frequently?

Comment by Jill M on March 22, 2012 at 9:15pm

My Lexus had two root canals and Zin  has had one.  Both furkids were young at the time and it was only $50 more for the root canals then to have the tooth pulled.  So, we went that route.  We did not experience anything negative afterward and only had to have dentals as needed.  DEFINiTELY need to get Colby on antibiotics as soon as possible.  Lexus' second broken tooth she had to wait a week to get it fixed, but was on antibiotics the whole time to prevent infection.  I agree that you should go see your vet and get their opinion and then decide what's best for you and Colby. 

Comment by Bev Levy on March 22, 2012 at 8:39pm

Sparty broke a tooth on the Nylabone too so they are banned at our house. We had the tooth removed and it hasn't bothered him in the least. Still eats at the speed of light!

Comment by Jacki, Nutmeg & Cinnamon on March 22, 2012 at 8:31pm

I learned early on that Corgi's dont so well with the nyla bone. ANTLERS is the way.

Comment by Sarah C. on March 22, 2012 at 7:01pm

Btw Didi had her tooth removed at 3, after the break.

She now drools charmingly from that side.

Comment by Sarah C. on March 22, 2012 at 7:00pm

I suggest going ahead and getting the tooth removed. We repaired didi's tooth after she broke it chewwing on a hoof. She's just such a strong chewwer that she ended up destroying her tooth again, and needed the tooth removed in the end.

If he's a strong chewer, it doesnt matter how well they fix it, the dog is going to chew on that side and the tooth is never going to be as sound as it was before. What can it do but break again?

Comment by Melissa and Franklin! on March 22, 2012 at 6:24pm

I also want to add that when you do a root canal, follow up anesthetic and x-rays will need to be done in 9-12 months and then possibly every year after that. Here is a link from our local dental specialist about root canals.


Rescue Store

Stay Connected


FDA Recall

We support...



© 2018   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service