Have you ever noticed that sometimes when you see a corgi in a picture that some look skinny but others look bigger, not fatter just bigger??? I dont know how to explain it???? Because my friend has a corgi and its big but when you pet her shes not fat at all!!!!!???? But some corgis are thinner??? Have noticed???

Views: 3804

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for all the info! I don't think I made myself clear enough though - the puppy mill did not give their corgis to the rescue shelter. The rescue shelter bought them to get them out of the conditions they were living in (not telling the puppy mill operators that they were a rescue shelter), and then sold them to people like my family.

I'm guessing that the shelter shredded the papers when they rescued the corgis because the pups were so young that they couldn't be spayed / neutered yet, and that would make the pups less desirable because then someone couldn't agree to spay / neuter any of them, and then breed them anyway, but I could be wrong.
Our CorgiBear is 1.5 years and only 21 lbs. She is petite at least that is what some folks notice about her. We don't mind, she acts just like a big Corgi.
My male , Augie, is huge. He weighs 53 pounds. His father was the exact same way. He is an old style Corgi with a really large breastbone, and big fairy saddle across his shoulders. Charlottes breeder tells me that they are mostly not breeding for this anymore. His vet wants to put him on a diet drug, I'm not jumping right on that just yet. Carol
Regarding AKC papers shredded before adoption: I am a member of Airedale Terrier Rescue and Adoption. We rehome more than 300 dogs every year. Many dogs are surrendered with AKC papers. We do not pass those along to new owners because they often contain personal information about the former owners. In addition, many breeders sell dogs as "pet" quality and "show" quality. Pet quality dogs are sold with a spay or neuter agreement so they can't be bred or shown.
It is also true that the Rescue does not support indiscriminate breeding, and all dogs will either be neutered before adoption or it is stipulated in the adoption contract to be done by a specific timeframe. Rescue will check up with new owners to ensure compliance.
Because Rescue deals with unwanted dogs, there is no encouragement for breeding, which AKC papers, if included with the dog, could help foster. We can't support adding more dogs to eventually be rescued.
These procedures are all in place to protect the dog and prevent more litters of puppies that end up at shelters, bad pet stores and rescue.
Our Dingo is a average sized corgi (with skinny chicken legs) but his friend Hurley is a big boy! I had never seen a corgi that big! He is actually our new baby Mia's daddy..... and her paws are already bigger than Dingo's... so we're figuring she's going to be huge. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I'm just waiting for the day they make a Hybrid breed of corgies that stay as small as puppies :)

I'm glad to see all this info on corgi dieting too. Very Helpful!

Dingo and Hurley
Photobucket
Just got off the phone with our breeder and she told me Brynn will only get to be 12lbs !! She is all ready 7 lbs at 13 weeks .I guess were going to have a small Corgi...
The typical and usual weight/size for an adult corgi would be 22 - 26 lbs for females and 25 - 30 lbs for males. Obviously the size will vary a bit. I can say that one that projects that an adult corgi will only weigh 12 lbs is not concentrating on breeding to the standard. Yes there are some that are bigger and some that are smaller but this may be a tip to the goals of the breeder of which one obtains a dog. To maintain the "essence" of the breed it is wonderful to find a breeder that is knowedgeable of such and strives to maintain it.
My husband and I have a Corgi and his parents have her sister, we take them to the Vet together and our Corgi is always a couple pounds more that her sister. We do not feed our Corgi off the table and they do, I am not sure why some are bigger. Right now our Corgi is smaller because she is a puppy. I am guessing she will be a big girl though. Her Grandma is big and her mom is smaller. Lori
My Mavis is 38 lbs. She is not fat, just huge. I tell everyone she is like Dolly Parton, huge on top, tiny at the waist!
Brodey was 42 lbs at his last vet visit. She said on a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being anorexic and 10 being obese) he is a 6 or 7. He is 33" from nub to nose, 28" at the girth and 24" at the waist. One of my friends called him a furry watermelon, thumped his belly and added that he sounds like he is ripe. He is just a big boy.
chloe was 36 lbs last time i had her to the vet. she put on about 5 lbs since i got her spayed. i'm hoping that once it starts to cool down again i'll be able to get her out more and she will drop back down to around 30 or so.
We must have a lean one too. Sid is just over a year old now and barely made it to the 22 pounds to get to the next dosage of Frontline.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service