We have always had little girl puppies and this is the first male puppy that we have ever owned. He will be four months old on June 4th and his testicles have not descended. Is this normal? I feel funny calling the vet or his breeder about this. When should I get him neutered?

Views: 3205

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For dogs, testicles descend around 10 days of age, and eight weeks is a point at which a dog can be said to be a cryptorchid [testicles retained in the abdomen]. However, some dogs can have testicles drop as late as when six months old.

You and your vet need to monitor this situation. If your dog passes six or seven months old and still does not have its testicles descended, your vet may urge that the dog be neutered to avoid the risk of cancer.
Truely it is rare that a pups testicles will descend if they are not apparent at the age of 10 weeks. As pups they can "yo-yo" into the inguanal canal. If they are not down consistently at the age of 10 weeks chances are they will not be. As a pup grows so does the testicle. If it has not descended into the scrotum then it often becomes too large to fit through the inguanal canal. I would consider having him neutered at the age of 6 months regardless. Sometimes the mere relaxation incited by anesthesia will allow the testicle to drop. Sometimes not. Do know that a neuter with a retained testicle is much more invasive, similar to a spay as the vet has to search for the testicle in the abdominal area. Expenses are more and recovery time takes a bit longer. Leaving an undescended testicle in place could cause problems for a dog as they mature. Even with one testicle apparent they do have the complete hormonal drive that an intact dog does. Dont be afraid to talk to your vet. I am sure they face this situation frequently. May even approach your breeder. Some are willing to help with expenses if they were sold as an "intact" fully descended male.
I would say you should definitely contact your breeder, not only for advise, but also to let them know that this breeding produced such a pup. It's an undesirable trait that is usually passed on by genetics, so a good breeder will appreciate knowing this and refrain from breeding the parents together again. They also might offer help paying the extra expenses of the neuter, a lot of breeders will discount male pups that have an undescended testicle at 12 weeks old.

But as far as his health is concerned, as long as you get him neutered, this should cause no adverse effects. The neuter itself can be more complicated and the recovery could be longer, but in the long run the end result is the same as neutering a male with both testicles.

The only concern is if the vet can't find one of the testicles during the neuter. While it happens that a boy is born with only one or no testicles completely, it is very rare, so it's possible that if it's not found, it's still hiding there somewhere, and in that case it could cause cancer and other problems in the future.

My future little one is in the same boat right now. He's almost 3 months old and no sign of them descending yet. The breeder has been very helpful about everything, and I feel confident that everything will go well.

Good luck, let us know how everything goes.
Do you think that George is sort of developmentally slow? George's ears just finally started standing up. Do you think the two are related?
The ears and undescended testicle are not likely related. Regarding the ears once again you should contact your breeder. Some dogs have very heavy ear leather and have difficulty staying upright unless they are aided with taping. At four months I would give it a try. Your breeder should be able to tell you this process. Sadly monorchid dogs are becoming more common. There is a genetic link to this issue but at this time there is no predictor as to if this may occur. Even the best bred of litters may have a dog with this issue. Most /knowledgeable/ethical breeders are aware of this issue prior to placing a pup and will inform the purchaser of such. They will also explain the differences in neutering procedures and cost difference.
I dont know if this is a stupid question, but i dont know what dropped testicles look like in a dog. I felt around and i can feel them through his fur, but does this mean they have dropped?
You know.... I wanted to ask the same thing. I couldn't "see" them either, so I asked a friend to check.. lol (he has a male standard poodle - and ummm you can defintely see the testicles on those dogs!!!) and he said yepp theres the scrotum. It's covered with fur, and i checked and yes, there was a sac covered with fur (not too big since bailey is only 4 months old).

sounds like they have dropped since you can feel them - i was told if its flat with no bump whatsoever, theyre still "stuck" inside.
Depending on the age of your corgi, the size can be as small as beans to marbles. if you felt 2, then yes, they have descended.
I've heard that COrgi's in particular will only drop one testicle-that it's fairly common. Don't know how much truth there is to that?? But it's what a few breeders have said.
George was neutered almost two weeks ago and everything went fine. We were so worried that his other testicle would not drop, but it did when he turned six months old. When we brought him home from the vet's, he acted like nothing had happened.
I dont even recall seeing Wyatts. The surgery afterwards where they removed them looked very painful. I felt so bad. I love him. 6 months old is when the vet recommend I get Wyatt neutered. The next day he didnt even remember the surgery. :)
Cheez-it was found to have an inguenal hernia which may/may-not heal on it's own. It's one of those typical things (like undescended testes) that are not covered by most health contracts. I had not paid the breeder when this was found and we worked out a deal where essentially she pays for the surgery (which the vet said is not a big deal at all) if he needs it. It gets checked when he goes to the vet until he gets neutered. The undescended teste should have been noted on the health-cert when you got the puppy. You may still be able to negotiate the breeder covering the cost.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service