Does anyone have brand/style suggestions for boots for Joey? His feet have developed lesions which the Vet is working on now. But for the time being she recommends some kind of footgear. One pair I got at PETCO was so stiff he couldn't walk in them. Baby sox are good but must be taped on each time. With a corgi's short legs it seems the boots would have to be quite flexible. Any suggestions on boots that worked for your Corgi?

Views: 184

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Check with the vet as to what is really necessary- booties have never worked IME- all dogs hate to have their feet messed with but Corgis seem to really hate to have their feet messed with. To protect their paws I've always used Mushers Secret. That's for cold weather so I don't know if it will do the trick but it will give a layer between the pads and the ground.

BTW I had Shelties before I ever had Corgis- love all those herding breeds... keep you on your toes....

Ziska
I went to a second vet yesterday and he simply suggested it was the very dry climate here in Colorado combined with the wear and tear on back feet (scratching after pooping) and pulling on leash. He put Joey on a cortisone cream twice a day. The Musher's Secret you suggested is on the way from KV Vet Supply...hope it will be here today. I'll let you know how Musher's works with "little j"
john
Anybody who has experience with Musher's Secret in sand, please report and message me.
Al got sore in the soft skin behind/above his forefoot toes after 2 long days in central washington desert, sandy terrain with loose pebbles.
Does Musher's Secret offer protection from sand abrasion, or might it make things worse by entraining sand and making it stick to the paw?
We have just recently ordered some booties for Cobi to protect his back feet while he is in his wheeled cart. Different reason than what you need them for Joey but anyway we ordered them from TammyandTeddys.com. They have a design especially made for corgis. Once we get them I will let you know how they work out.
What about the vet wrap? Easy to apply and to take off..you could first cover the foot w/some cotton from a roll and then wrap w/the vet wrap.
What's vet wrap? Is that the sticky gauze? I have a roll of that stuff, like a sticky Ace bandage, blue. That's one of my plans. I'll ask at the store.
We just had a sore-paw episode 4/26/09 near the end of a LONG day of spring skiing. Firm crust, dog not breaking through, 1" new snow on top, mostly wet, mush-on-crust, better than a new puppy in Dog Heaven. No apparent problem til late in the day, after dog had been running a lot keeping up with skier downhill (and having a blast). He slowed visibly, stopping to lick one paw often. Never seen this before, remarkable.
I put on a baby sock, which stayed on 3 min.
No obvious paw damage, soft skin behind forefoot toe pads looked pink. No wincing to touch.
Similar episode in the desert 3 weeks ago (sand between/behind toe pads?).
I am going to try Musher's Secret and will report.

I have booties like these, which I got when we lived in the city where there was always a ton of salt all winter (and the puppy toes got mighty painful). I'd take them off once we got to the park where there was nice clean snow to run in. They stayed on pretty well, with the velcro straps, and Bertie tolerated them.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service