So how bad is it to give puppies human food? Puki loves watching me eat and i get suckered in by her cute little face and I always end up giving her a piece of my sandwich, or even my chicken nuggets!

Views: 731

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

hmmm..... the biggest problem is obesity, it took me well over a year to get Vienna back to top shape. I think food like carrot sticks are fine, but highly processed or seasoned food are not recommended :)
It is mainly the salt and other seasonings the dog shouldn't eat. Chicken nuggets aren't very healthy for you either. LOL : - )

I give Charlie bits of fresh, frozen or thawed veggies and meats before seasoning and cooking for myself. He also usually has boiled skinless chicken thigh meat, cooked then diced and frozen in little packets for treats instead of processed, store-bought training treats. Fresh fruits are fine too (just take the seeds out as many fruit seeds contain arsenic).

No No's (Toxic to dogs) include grapes, raisins, macadamia nuts, walnuts, onions, garlic, chocolate, and alcohol.
I think it depends on the food. also, just because some foods or ingredients arent poisonous to humans, does not mean that they arent for dogs. like sam said, obesity is also a huge problem for corgis. charlie has also provided some dog toxic human foods. dont panic if you did give it to your dog, just for future reference. i know what you mean though. those corgi faces are irresistible!
A lot of good human foods for dogs are fruit, vegetables, and lean meats. Dogs are omnivores just like us. But like us they have to be careful of what they eat or they could get sick, or fat.

Dogs love blueberries, and apples. Stay away from citrus fruits though.

Good veggies are carrots, sweet potatoes/yams. You MUST clean them very well to get rid of pesticides that can poison your puppy pal.

Peanuts are good too, as well as some cheeses. You have to make sure your dog is not lactose intolerant though.

Best meats for a dog are lean backed chicken, and boiled liver. Nothing deep fried or breaded.

The best way to give your corgi these human foods is as training treats, or substitute meals. Dice or grind a few of the items together and put them in his or her bowl. Make sure you think about proportions. You DON'T want to cut up a half of an apple, 2 whole carrots, a yam, and a cup of meat to find that your pooch can't eat it all.

Do be careful with introducing human foods to your pet. Sometimes even the best of foods for them can give them tummy problems, at first.
I have never given him people-food, but he still begs like he is starving. When I am making breakfast I will give him some boiled egg, only about 1/10th of an egg. I was giving only the white, but I heard the yolk is good (and yummy). Sometimes he can have a few frozen blueberries before they go in my oatmeal. That is about all he gets and they are all served in his bowl. That begging......
Ah this question can open a huge discussion. Obesity is a huge concern in this breed. When it comes to food corgis are the ultimate "liars" as to how hungry they are at that particular moment. By complying to their request you are enforcing the behavior that they should eat everytime you do. Not a good idea from a behaviorial standpoint. Those dogs that have a propensity to become possessive will certainly use this opportunity to do so. Some dogs also have a more sensitive digestive system then others. Rich or greasy foods can cause a bout of colitis. Some foods are toxic for dogs such as chocolate, raisins, grapes, onions. Other dogs seem to be able to eat anything with no issue. Bits of carrots, apples, cooked eggs, lean meat, cottage cheese, yogurt and salmon is actually good for dogs.
thanks for everyone's responses! I love the suggestions on the homemade treats! Def. going to try the diced chicken and stick to healthy fruits and veggies. I really want Puki to be happy and healthy. So i know if i keep feeding her random things she will eventually get sick or obesed.

FYI I never knew grapes were bad for dogs either! I almost had a heart attack when I read that because the other day I gave Puki a couple of grapes. She didn't get sick from it but I did look online and saw that if a dog ingests a large amount of grapes they can get sick from the toxins and some may die! :( This is a wake up call for me so i'm def. going to resist the cute puppy dog face Puki always tries to pull on me!
i think i moderation there is no problem, i never let other people feed her because i know what/how much she should have, i give her watermellon, pees, apples, a little bit of steak but i always put it in her dish or make her sit/shake a paw for it

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service