Ein isn't going number two as often as I would think. Each day when I come home from work there are no accidents, (he is inside by himself for at least six hours) and I let him out to do his business, but he only pees. We have had him for almost a week and we have only seen him go poop twice. Is this normal? Could it be stress or are we not feeding him enough?

Every morning when we wake up I put a cup of food in his dish, and he has a couple healthy treats if he didn't make a mess the night before. When we get home from work, if the food is gone we add another cup to the dish, and if the food hasn't been touched we leave it until it is gone. On average he is eating one to two cups daily, but it doesnt seem to be coming out the opposite end. Any ideas?

Views: 1784

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ein might just be adjusting to his new home. You mention that he has been only a week at your house. He is definitely eating. Smell his breath. When Bailey was only 2.5 months I discovered that she pooped and then started eating it. Only strong vigilance while I was puppy training her to remove the feces quickly, ended the bad behavior.

He should be going at least 3-4 times. Hopefully is not constipation. Maybe changing food?
Good luck!
Well I smelled his breath and it definitely smells like he is eating it. I am not so sure what to do to get him to stop.
Pineapple, feed him a few small chunks with his meal and he wont want to eat his poop.
Hi - I went through this with Sadie also. If she pooped on the potty pad and I wasn't right there to clean it up, she would eat it. There are pills you can feed them that are supposed to make the poop taste bad - as if it would'nt naturally??? You can also try the pinapple too. Sadie loved both, thought the pills were a special type of treat and she really thought pineapple was great! She is now almost 7 months old and I have to say she will still occasionally eat it given time and opportunity (both my mistake because I'm not watching her closely enough and giving her too much freedom). I did not officially crate train her to learn to go potty outside. I used the potty papers and am now trying to make the switch to outdoors. If I take her outside every 3-4 hours or so she'll potty and poop outside (pee everytime - poop 3x's per day) but she won't tell me when she has to go out. I've got to watch for the signals and realize how long it's been since she was out last. She goes from 9 or 10 at night in her locked kennel until 6-7 in the morning with no accidents in her crate but you'd better be heading right for the door when you let her out in the mornings! The poop eating will eventually go away on it's own in most cases is what everyone told me. There's even an official word for it - corophragia(spelling?). Try the pills and pinapple - they may work for you. But the best suggestion I was given was don't give them opportunity to eat it. If you can't be in close observation of your puppy at all times he/she should be in their crate where they won't pee/poop and only allowed to roam the house free (or even a small room) when you will be right there to clean up before they have a chance to eat it. Some dogs will develope a habit of eating they're poop that can't be corrected if it goes on for too long. If I ever get another puppy I'll never use potty pads again. I'll strictly use the crate and take the puppy outside on schedule. I'm having to potty train all over again. Sadie is great about knowing to pee and poop on the pads so she doesn't know she has to tell me to take her outside instead. I also have not made the complete commitment to taking the pads away entirely. I have one in the house by the back door - just in case.
try rubbing his belly with a warm wash cloth all the way up, it will stimulate him to poo, have you seen him straining? did you change his food since you have had him? are you sure he isn't eating his poo? if he isnt eating it and his food has not been changed and he is straining give him some hairball medication for cats....(just a little bit, dogs love love it) the vet gave some too use when neeka wasn't pooping and was straining and we only had to use it once or twice, its also very helpful if he gets into something he shouldnt, my dog ate a bunch of fluff from a toy she ripped up when we wernt home and we gave her some (with reccommendation from the vet )and she had no trouble pooping
Ein is starting to go at least once a day with our knowledge, and sometimes twice daily. His breath did smell horrid, but he had eaten a liver treat so maybe that is the culprit. We have changed his food since we brought him home with us. With his previous owner, he was eating kibbles and bits. Now he's on a healthier diet. Maybe he is just adjusting to his new home and food. Or maybe he's eating it, or both. We are still trying to determine what is going on.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service