This is not a happy question to have to ask, but how do you know when it's time to let your pet go? We have Gus, the 4-year old corgi (who is fine, thank God!), and Sandy, an adopted mixed breed who has been with us 14 years (so she's at least 15). She has had lyme disease twice, and has arthritis that has gotten progressively worse, but seems to have gotten very debilitating in the last few weeks. She has been on medicine for it for several years (deramaxx, and we've tried previcox and rimadyl also), but lately nothing seems to help much. She has trouble getting up from a laying down position, but the worst is that she's now having trouble squatting to relieve herself, and so is avoiding that. She doesn't have accidents, but I can only imagine how uncomfortable she is. Sometimes when walking (she doesn't go far) her legs just give out. She seems relatively happy still, but it is hard to tell how much pain she is in. I love her with all my heart, and she has been my faithful companion through thick and thin. I just want to do the right thing. How do you know when it's time to let them go?

Views: 269

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Sweetie you just know when it's time, you know it in your heart. You know that you don't want your love to be in pain anymore. I just let my Max go and I am not going to lie to you it was really, really hard. Be kind to Sandy and let her go to Rainbow Bridge with dignity and your everlasting love.
*hugs* It's always hard to let a loved one go... your family is in our thoughts and hearts Wynne.
You will know when to let go when you really start thinking about the pain they are in. We had to put our Rosie down and I cry almost every night because I miss her sooooooo much. She was my best-friend and my family member. There will never be another like her. I know she is with the Lord and I want to see her first when I get to Heaven. I truly love her and always will, I miss you Rosie and I love you.
I think that was a very beautiful and thoughtful thing you did, leaving her ashes under the tree she loved. How sweet and sad. ((hugs)) I am so sorry for your loss.

A while ago, I had a dream of my brother who had passed away when he was young, just after I lost my dog (Scruffy), which left me inconsolable. I remember asking the question if dogs went to heaven. In the dream my brother showed me what was heaven, with wide emerald green grassy plains, good for running and hugh wide blue skies! He had my dog in his arms and looked at me, and I read it in his eyes.

Yes dog do go to heaven and he will be with me till you get here! I’m sure that you will see Sandy again in heaven. Many hugs.
Thanks for your kind words-they really help. I still miss Sandy and her sweet face all the time, but know that she is free from pain now.
Before you do anything PLEASE go to a pet store and get some ( I hope I spell this right) Glucosamin Chrondrotin. We used this with our corgi found one that we gave him one in the a.m. and one in the p.m. he thought they were "goodies". This stuff realy works, if we counted wrong and he ran out he would start to limp a bit until we beat it over to get them for him.
As far as knowing "when" after 12 years we made the decision 12/29/08. It is never easy on you, I look at it this way
After all the years of love, devotion, laughs and kisses I could not let him hurt anymore. It was my time to step up to the plate and put his peace above my pain of not having him here with me.
I am very sorry for your loss. We did end up putting Sandy to sleep on 6/26/08. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done, but I knew the time was right. She gave us 14 wonderful years. Thank you for the suggestions. I actually have our corgi, Gus, on a Glucosamine & chondroitin mix (Cosequin DS) and it really helps. He has hip dysplasia. Again, I'm sorry for your loss. Lets all hope for a happy, healthy 2009 for all!
So sorry for your loss. It weighs heavy on the heart and many know what it feels like. I just wanted to make a few other suggestions just in case someone in the same situation is looking for further advice and possible things to do to prolong the decision and make the dog comfortable. Hard question to answer..you'll know in your gut when that time is. Not sure where you live but winter is hard. Heated beds help and soft areas to lay for some relief. Another thing you could think about is they have these beds of grass for dogs to be able to stay indoors to eliminate themselves. Might be an option to keep her out of the eliminates and make her more comfortable and willing to urinate. If shes happy but just having hard times and your willing to go the extra mile then hold off. Massaging, walking aids, all can help as well. Maybe even some aquatic exercise.
Thanks for your suggestions. We did end up putting Sandy to sleep on 6/26/08 (this is an old thread!) but I'm going to keep you suggestions in mind for Gus, our corgi. He is only 4, but has hip dysplasia, so he has some soreness issues. Thanks for your concern.
Not trying to sound trite but when it is time you will know

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service