Penelope is refusing to eat her puppy kibble. She will eat anything else, just not the puppy kibble. Yesterday, she threw up because she had an empty stomach and would not eat. So, I did have some canned version of her kibble I got from the breeder when we picked her up. I was only to use it if/when she wouldn't eat. I was to mix in a little bit, about a tablespoon, with her dry kibble. Well, I had to do this both times she was fed yesterday. She ate it then. I don't want that to become a habit (the wet food, was also an adult form). So, what should I do? Is it time to switch foods, is she ready to move to adult food (the breeder actually would start them on adult food at 4.5 or 5 months, she said they didn't need the extras in the puppy food by that time), not sure if that is right, but she has been breeding champions for 30 years. Or, what else do I do? Also, if it is time for a switch with the food, Saturday she is going to spend the week with my mother and sister-in-law while we are in Mexico. Not the best time to make a switch. She will just sniff the food and then turn her nose up to it. I'd appreciate any help!

Views: 32

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You know, Bailey used to do this. I would put his old food down, hed take a sniff then pop back his head as if to say "is that what you're giving me - that crud!, how dare you mommy, HMPH!". lol. So... i found myself mixing in yogurt just to get him to eat the kibble. You could try that too. They simply just don't like the food anymore, so I just had to switch. But first, I'd try and see if shell eat it eventually (she won't starve herself). Put it down for 30 minutes if she doesn't eat it, pick it back up until the next feeding time, repeat. Bailey was really good about giving in and "eating what I gave him" but I ultimately made the switch just to feed him a better product (we went from Nature's Recipe to Wellness). I'm assuming if she doesnt eat for 2 days when you do this, then its time to switch the food. But it sounds like you should try switching to another brand of puppy food alltogether. What's she getting now? I've read lots of posts about owners having to switch food MANY times before they find the one their pups like. A lot of pet food stores (esp the smaller ones) will give you samples to try. If she'll take the kibble as an ordinary treat, then thats the one. Bailey will eat a piece of Wellness Puppy kibble as a regular treat if i hand it to him.

Anyways, as for the adult food switching, Bailey is such a big boy now I'm thinking of switching him to adult food after we finish the rest of this bag, which will be in about 2 months. He'll be 7 months then. He's 5 months now and weighs 21 lbs already! In my opinion, I don't think her not eating means you need to switch to adult, esp if Penelope is on track with her weight!

good luck!!!!!!! =P in conclusion.. I think you should switch foods (keep it Puppy and watch her waistline, etc), i don't see a need for Penelope to already be on adult food just yet (but I'm not a vet nor a champion breeder! - just my opinion).
Thanks, I'm wondering if I should keep up what we are doing now until we get back from our trip though. She'll have the normal problems about going to a new place as it is and I don't want to add in the problem of her being on a new food. I don't know. I'll see what happens when I try to feed her again though. I did leave it out and she would never go for it. The problem is when she doesn't eat a night, she throw up the next morning if she gets a little playful since she has practically nothing in her tummy.
awww. =( poor penelope.

Try mixing some low sodium chicken broth into the kibble, or yogurt. bailey LOVES yogurt (nonfat plain) as a temporary appetite-starter until you get back from vacation.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service