HI everyone! Fenway is now almost 4 months old. He is doing great with potty training and loves to be outside and dig his holes! A couple things I have noticed lately with him, not sure if it's normal or if any other corgi has done these things.
Sometimes Fenway will move his back legs back and forth almost like he's going to charge at someone or something, but doesn't. Is he trying to tell me he's the boss? Haha, my boyfriend and I dont know what to think of it!
Also anytime we discipline our darling he likes to talk back. Is this normal??? Sometimes he'll give loud barks, other times, they are quiet, almost like he's answering us, its really weird!
Any situations like this happen to any of your corgis??? Is this behavoir normal??
Input would be awesome!!!!

thanks
kelly

Views: 326

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Does he move his legs back and fourth like "scratching", mine does that after no. 1&2.

Yes, your dog will "talk back" out of protest :) mine does that when I trick him into fetching a ball for me when do a fake throw, after 2 times, he'll bark at me and protest! I should get it on video sometime.

Young pups will go through the "teenage" period where they talk back more than usual. It's quite normal.
My corgi mix Bruce will do what I call his "toro" impersonation after peeing or pooping. The rumor I've heard is that it makes a small dog seem bigger to any dog that follows and smells the wide area that his scent covers.

Bruce also "talks back" all the time. I was warned by a corgi owner that this happens all the time, that they always have to have the last word, and I've found it to be true.

Sidney (the pup) has not picked up the kicking thing yet but he is learning to become pretty vocal!
I found the link to a discussion we had about corgi "talking"

http://www.mycorgi.com/forum/topic/show?id=1150197%3ATopic%3A91721
Thanks guys for your input!!! I did read up more on the talking part and i'm happy that it's normal! But like me I always like to get the last word took, so fenway and I are gonna battle haha jk!!!!
As far as the kicking his back legs back and forth, it will be at random times. Sometimes, when we are playing, other times its almost like hes trying to get our attention. I'm not sure where he figured this out! He did it just this morning when I brought him outside to feed him. It's like he's a bull about to take off he does this sliding/kicking back and forth with his hind legs, i too should get that on tape!!
I'll have to keep my eye on this little guy!!!!!!

Thanks for the 411 :)
The kicking is a very common and instinctive demonstration by a dog. Instinctively this takes place after urination, the kicking intended to "spread" the smell to make other dogs aware of his "mark" As to the vocalizations this is more common for some then others. Some corgis are quite vocal and make it known that they have something to say.
Yup its called sent marking. Almost all dogs do this after going to the bathroom. Not only are they spreading the oder of their excrement, but dogs have sent glands on the backs of their back legs. Shifting the dirt and excrement together makes sure that their scent stays there for a long time.

It is a form of communication to other dogs saying "hey I was here." Female dogs do this to let male dogs know when they are in season, and male dogs do it to show territorial boundaries.

Talking seems to be one of the corgi's gifts. They are one of the most vocal breeds. You have a very normal corgi.
My pup is around the same age and he talks back constantly! Especially after I give a command he doesnt want to follow, he still follows it but with a muffled bark under his breath. Sort of the canine equal to a snide remark. He also does this leg kicking thing, but not when he pees or anything. It's usually before I put his food bowl down and he is following me around with it.
Quite the contrary, bold females will do it too! I have one that marks territories.....she is the queen bee here.
Really? My twin has a very submissive and shy corgi who scraps her hind feet after doing #2.
Chloe doesnt do this either.. Hmm..
bailey has just started to lift his leg when going #1, and its 50/50 if he does the kicking dirt motion after #2. I guess he does it when he feels like it or remembers. lol =)

hmmmmmmmmmmmm but i posted a forum awhile back asking about hte kicking motion not in relation to potty-ing, and i concluded its usually an invitation from another dog that he/she wants to play. =)
The scent marking done with the kicking is not just saying "I was here", it really means "I claim this area". Since I don't really allow my dog to think she's the boss in any situation (that falls to me, which I happily accept!) I usually tell her no when I see it coming on. And also, she doen't do it on walks, which is where most of the #2 happens.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service