anyone know good ways to keep my neeka cool? today was soo hot and we are not used to the heat here. i gave her a lukewarm bath and had fans going (no a/c at home) but she panted like crazy all day, i even filled her kong with ice cubes. but she hid in my closet (only place that is bearable) all day! also, i walk her to and from work, lately on the way home she will stop and refuse to walk anymore, i think its because she is so hot so i have to keep encouraging her by saying, want to go home? until we make it home. so im not sure if i should keep taking her to work or leave her at home, i have AC at work, but the walk is long and its super hot and driving isnt an option since my bf takes our trucks to work...any suggestions>?

Views: 46

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wonder if the heat really bothers them as much as we think it does... because Sadie does this too... but I just attributed it to her being a little tubby a little lazy... and a LOT stubborn... because when Sadie is ready to lay down and you'd think she was dying from the heat... Rolo is ambling around, playing and jumping -- drooling and panting to beat the band -- but otherwise doesn't seem to be bothered. I think I'd worry a little more about it being the heat, too, if I didn't have other animals to gauge her reaction by.

The panting is good. I'd nix the icecubes though. We're thinking that is what cracked Sadie's upper molar a few weeks ago, resulting in pain for her and a huge vet bill for the surgery to remove it!

I was always told that as long as they are panting and have plenty of water and adequate shade, they'll be fine. Their dual coats supposedly work as insulation in the winter and cooling systems in the summer.

I'm thinking there may be some other issue that might need to be looked at. How old is she? Is it possible she's getting arthritic? Maybe the extra high heat and her behavior changing at the same time is merely a coincidence. It could be that it's actually painful for her to walk that distance. Might want to have a vet look at her joints -- especially her hips if this is something that just started.
no she is only 11 months old...so i dont think she is arthritic and we have been doing the same walks at the same time for the past 7 months, she also stops and refuses to move when its raining out..never in the mornings only on the walk home.
Some dogs are far more affected by the heat then others. If it is unseasonably warm it truly may be affecting her. Some folks that compete in agility use the frozen neck scarfs. If you have a freezer at work this may be something you can put on her for the walk home. Young dogs also tire a bit sooner then adults. My girl at that age would just wilt on a long walk. Her weight could also be a faction if she is overweight. She may just be happier to stay home where it is a bit cooler. Being out all day while it may be a quiet environment may also add a tad of stress. This could also be a contributing factor.
I take our corgis to softball games to watch my college aged daughter play and it can get quite warm. I will bring a water bottle and mist them --it seems like a game to them. they bite at the water and it cools them down I do feed ice cubes and frozen blueberries. Our kids like to use the wading pool at home when it is hot outside. I use the water as it comes out of the well which is less than 60 degrees--so I would use cool or cold water not lukewarm. They also make neckerchiefs that are filled with a granual substance that swells with water when soaked. These are good to put around their neck. They have a cooling effect as the water evaporates. You can get them at Petsmart. These are great for people as well. I would keep taking her to work. The walk is good for her and it is nice that she can be with you and in the AC all day. She may be procrastinating on the way home because she knows it is not quite as cool as it is at work. She's a smart cookie. They also make misters that you can attach to a fan. great when it is really hot. Best used outside though. We have used these with our horses and chickens when it gets really hot outside. Good luck.
Triley will often just stop in the middle of a long walk, usually when I am taking him to or from work with me. It happens more in the summer and usually later in the walk (the closer we get to work - he doesn't want to go either!). I assume he is tired and hot (because I am too!). Sometimes I'll find a grassy spot and we'll both sit for a minute and have some water (I would carry water with you if you are walking a dog in the heat). Part of it is that he isn't used to long walks (he hurt his leg in January and has healed, but he is a bit "out of shape" I think). Usually I just have to say "let's go!" in a really excited fashion and that gets him moving again (for a while at least). He is stopping less now that he is getting more used to the walks, so it may just take some time.

If your boss allows you to bring your pup to work, then I would at least try! Triley gets a little anxious at work with me, I think because he is sometimes confused about his surroundings. Today he was walking about, playing with his toys and whinning a bit, but eventually calmed down and went to sleep. In fact, he is PASSED OUT on the floor next to me right now. He likes the AC in the office too.

Good Luck!
Absolutely the heat can bother some Corgis. We live in a cold climate most of the year. Now, it is 80 degrees in the day. All my dog does is sleep by air-conditioning. I tried to walk him this am and we did a real short walk; 8 minutes and I didn't think he was going to make it across the yard. Normally he does 20 minutes at a brisk pace.

I have one of those frozen bandanas. I have used it once or twice and wonders it if really helps. It is so heavy (large size) when it swells up, it is another stressor that the dog has to deal with. Also, where his fur is so thick, does the cold really get through the fur; as previously mentioned, the fur acts as an insulator so wouldn't it insulate against the cold getting through, too.

Also, mine has mildewed due to humidity when I have tried to dry it. I wouldn't recommend them. I really think the walk home in the heat is probably too much for the dog, however, the air conditioning is great. Wish I could help you more.
I found the Puppia a great harness that you wet and then place into the freezer. When you are taking your dog for a walk it helps them to regulate the heat.
I may be wrong, but I thought dogs regulated their body temperature solely through the mouth by panting--they don't sweat, like we do, to cool themselves. To me that implies that water is the best treatment for them--although mine refuses to drink any water until after she stops panting like crazy. We tried to train her to drink on command, but she never would.

Are there any experts out there with an opinion on this?
I know that when Corey wears the ice cold Puppia he does not pant 1/2 as much. I found an article if you want to read on dog's regulating their heat. It was interesting.

http://ajplegacy.physiology.org/cgi/pdf_extract/73/3/665
Do you have tile floors anywhere? Dogs cool mostly through panting, but also to cool down their body, the first places to cool are their paw pads and belly area where there is less fur. I would suggest investing in a cooling bed or maybe a couple of tile squares to put somewhere and I bet Neeka will go lay down there.
If you ever watch a sled dog race, you can see how the dogs cool themselves - the musher will stop them, and they immediately lay down with their bellies flat to the ground (and they also eat snow). This is a natural way for them to cool down, nobody teaches them this, it's instinct. We have no tile in the house other than the bathrooms which are off limits to my pup. However, we have a fireplace that is clean and never used, so he goes and lays down there when he wants to cool down (it's metal and stays cool in there) - it's very funny to see a dog in the fireplace :)
Also be careful with the ice, make sure she isn't chewing it - she could crack a tooth! If she just licks the ice cubes, it's fine, but if she tries to break it into pieces, use crushed ice instead.
I shave my dogs belly with clippers. I think it helps a little as there is less hair on her belly and she can cool off on the tile floor quickly.

Also, consider a fan at floor level that she can lay in front of it.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service