I've been reading a lot of posts about what pet treats to feed our corgis, and I know a lot of them are unhealthy and unsafe, as well as expensive. I know our vet suggested carrot sticks and frozen peas (which Flash won't even touch), as well as peanut butter (which he loves but is fattening). Is there anything else that anyone knows of that is DEFINITELY safe for corgis, as well as nutritious? Thanks!

Views: 1673

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here you go!
We have been feeding bites of apple to Kitty and she loves them.She,also,eats cucumbers,salad greens,cooked broccolli,cooked yams,raw sugar snap peas-from the garden and I have offered her berries but,she isn"t as crazy about them.She has a great little figure,nice and slim!
I feed mine carrots and she absolutely loves them.
Pretty much anything not on the list of dangerous foods that I made:
http://www.mycorgi.com/xn/detail/1150197:Comment:137388

Is safe to feed them.

There is a "raw food" movement out there that I vehemently disagree with, but you can make your own judgment on that.

As far as making your own dog food, there are recipes out there. My grandmother got one from her vet which was mostly rice, beef, and carrots--it may have had other ingredients as well. She has a regular cooking schedule, so the dog's diet was augmented by the same things regularly e.g. Monday is rigatoni with meatballs, beef, and chicken breast all cooked in the sauce. The dog always got a decent amount of the chicken--she was crazy for it. This dog lived to be about 15 on this diet.
My dogs love carrots! They don't tolerate peas very well. One of them throws up every time she eats them. Last night was the last straw now that we know it's definately the peas making her sick. The other just get a little loose stools. Still not good so peas probably aren't so good. They hate citrus and LOVE watermelon and strawberries. They'll eat cucumbers and sometimes even celery. I would just experiment if I were you but make sure to stay away from the dangerous foods like chocolate and that type of thing.
Heather, there's an overweight Corgi that goes to my trainer who gets zucchini sticks for treats during class. Basically any kind of fruit or vegetable (except onion) should be fine as long as you take out the seeds first (especially for stone fruit).
Kara loves blueberries and bananas. When I have a banana I always give her the tip of it!
Ever since my Rory was a puppy I've been giving her raw baby carrots. She freaks when I even mention the word. Once in a while I mix some pumpkin or reduced fat peanut butter with plain cheerios. She goes nuts for that too. Rory also enjoys celery sticks, cucumber slices, squash, zuccinni, really anything. She also likes leaf lettuce, but won't dare touch iceberg. Other then the foods listed above, she doesn't get people food.

I don't really give Rory dog treats except K-9 Fat Free treats, which I don't feel bad giving her b/c they're 100% far free, but I prefer to stick with organic veggies. I also love giving her vanilla pretzels from Petco's treat buffet. They're low fat and people can eat them too. They're quite tasty.
In additon to high qualty kibble(From California Natural), my dog gets blueberries,grizzly salmon oil,Canidae snap bits,and a raw egg whole in it's shell once a week. My dog get's bully sticks every other day to. In my opinion they are one of the best chews you can find on the market today. It is just 100% bull muscle. High in protein and it keeps dogs busy for hours. Greenies and rawhides are risky(both can cause an impaction) and ineffective.
I would have said carrots. Our dogs will eat anything if it hits the floor. Sometimes I have to dive to pick it up before they can!
Apples are great. Bananas seem to be ok in small doses as well.
Bananas! they love them!!! - mush them up and freeze them in tiny cups for a cool snack... and steamed/boiled skinless chicken breast!!! (but them in bulk and frozen to save a few bucks!)...

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service