Just today I heard through the grapevine about a family that rescued a stray Corgi about 6 months ago. They now need to find a new home for him. The vet thinks he is about 1.5-2 years old. The family says that they are too animal-crowded (3 dogs, 2 cats) and don't have the time to devote to his exercising/energy needs. They also said that he enjoys chasing their cat.

I LOVE Corgis, and really would love to adopt him, but don't want to do him an injustice by bringing him into an unfair situation. I live in a 3rd story apartment so every time we went outside he would be walking up and down stairs. I would assume that wouldn't be a problem because it could be good exercise, but I am not sure because Corgis' legs are so short.

I work full-time, and will be starting classes for graduate school in August (1-2 nights a week). I also tend to do random things here and there in the evenings throughout the week- church, the gym, etc. I have no problem waking up early in the mornings to take him for a long walk, I rather enjoy walking in the mornings and in the evenings. I don't, however, want to take him from one lonely household to another. The family stated that they thought if I could even spend 2-3 hours with him a day plus walks they thought he would be okay. I could certainly do that, but I want to know from those of you who own Corgis is that is enough time to fulfill their social needs.

Also, I have a cat and his family says that he likes to chase theirs. Is this something that can be trained out of a dog bred for herding? My cat is very social and it would break my heart to see her hide under the bed for the rest of her life.

I appreciate everyone for reading this and taking the time to help me out. I would LOVE more than anything to provide this dog a home, but I don't want to be selfish and fail to meet his needs. Thanks!

P.S. I have not met him in person yet, but will have the opportunity to do so tomorrow evening.

Views: 49

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Erin, when we first got our pups 6 years ago, we used to live on the 3rd floor of a condo, so walking up and down stairs is fine. it took my pups 1 week to master the stairs, just don't baby them by carrying them all the time, they'll fight it, but use treats and a little patience, they'll do without a problem.

I was also in graduate school back then and can relate the tight schedule and both of us worked full time. It is a great thing that you enjoy walking in the morning and the evening, exercise is crucial to a corgi's temperament, they are herding dogs, you must challenge them physcially and mentally to ensure all around growth.

As far as the cats goes, you may want to use the search box and find threads on cats and corgis, it is doable and it is a matter of introducing and giving it time for all parties to adjust.

I think the more important question is, are you financially and mentally ready to commit, it is a 12-16 years commitment, are you ready to teach him to over come behavior problems and promise to exercise him everyday, rain or shine, hot or cold? If you're ready, congrats! dog ownership will forever change your life :)
I think living in an apartment with an animal is fine as long as they get exercise. The stair problem wouldn't be an issue, unless he is overweight. That would be a bit of concern due to his short front legs. But if he's fit, then it should all good. I live in a two story house and my corgi runs up and down the stairs all the time (sometimes jumping off the last two).

If you walk him in the morning and spend some time with him while you get ready, he should be fine. I heard if you make things for your dog to play with while your gone is a good idea. Such as hiding treats here and there for he can sniff out or anything that sparks his interest. While I was gone for four days, our Nana looked after my Eowyn for us. She walked her early in the mornings and went to work at 7 am, came home at 5 pm and Eowyn was fine.

Also if you do random things, it would be a good idea if you took him in the car with you. (that's if he likes riding in the car) but only if you aren't going to get out and leave him. But if you just take a drive here and there, It would be fun for him for he is doing things with you. It's mental stimulation as well to watch the world go by at high speeds, lol!

When Eowyn was a pup, she use to ALWAYS chase our siamese cat around. Trying to herd her, poking her with her nose and nipping at her. Our cat use to hid upstairs for about a week when we first got Eowyn. I stopped Eowyn doing that very quickly (but she was young) and now, our cat is in charge and shows both our dogs (corgi and a borzoi) that SHE is boss! We also fostered an older corgi (2 1/2 years old) and he never bothered the cat. I bet if you just keep telling him no whenever he chases the cat or put him on a leash whenever your kitty's around, he'll get the idea.

I hope everything goes well! Good luck and congrats if you decide to take him!
Living in an apartment offers special challenges with a young and active dog. As Sam said you really need to look deep within and KNOW you are ready to make this comittment. Know that you will have extra dog hair, potty accidents, vet bills and probably some items that are "redesigned" Know that your random outings will now have a different meaning as you will have a pal to be responsible for. Regarding the cats most corgis enjoy chasing them if they run. Most have no desire to hurt them but love the chase. You may do well to find a good rescue organization in your area to refer your friends to. Sounds like you have a huge heart but my "gut" feeling tells me that you may be overwhelmed by the addition of this active boy.
I don't know the answer. All I know is my experience. 2 months ago we adopted a 9 year old Cardigan. One of the main reasons the breeder was giving him up was that he was so unhappy. He was living 3 days a week in their kennel because as a breeder they had a lot of dogs; didn't have room to keep retired dogs in the house full time. I don't believe we would have gotten him if I hadn't have been home full-time.

He has adjusted amazingly well. However, yesterday we left him for about 7 hours (the longest time yet). He was "fine" while he was alone. Nothing is ever moved; he doesn't play with toys. He touches nothing. I believe that as a herding dog, he stays in the same position by the door waiting for us.

Today, however, he has been very clingy (very unlike him). If one of us goes outside for a minute, he runs to the door and waits until the person is back in. I believe that leaving a dog alone all day, 5 days a week is too much. If I had been working, we wouldn't have gotten a dog. So I guess I am biased.

Corgis require a lot of exercise, play time and bonding time (no matter what the age!). To me, it sounds like you are going to have a really busy life; besides being in classes a few nights a week, you will have study/research time plus your other activities. That dog is going to want to play!!! and not have you read.

Do you think maybe you should postpone owning a dog until you are through grad-school. I know Sam said he had his dogs in grad school but there were 2 of them to help raise the dogs. Maybe you have someone else as well....if so, that would make a big difference. Anyway, I don't often give my opinion and I could be way off base. As I said, I am definitely biased about leaving dogs alone all day while people are at work; if you have the option. I expect I will get a lot of flack about this. Good luck with your decision, I would have a really hard time making a decision like that.

You know, of course, that once you meet him it is going to be next to impossible not to take him.

Another consideration is that as they age, the stairs do become a problem. We only have 4 stairs and our Corgi, who can go flying around at top speed, takes them very gingerly. Also, I worry about whether he had an injury and was told to rest (which happened recently), how he would be able to do stairs to pee. Well, we had to rig up a little ramp and he wasn't able to manage it. Thankfully his injury healed quickly. If your's couldn't walk, is there an elevator in the building or would you have to carry him up or down. It is a real possibility because Corgi's can get sprains easily.

Wow, I really sound like the bearer of bad news, so I'll stop.

Take care, let us know what you decide. Joy
I totally had the same questions you do when I was thinking about adopting Skittles. I think the first thing that you need to consider, like pretty much everyone else has said, is are you ready for a dog-commitment? Training, walking, brushing, playing, feeding, repeat. If you are, then consider to what extent you're willing to do each. Please do NOT think that you CAN'T have a dog! It's more about what dog fits your situation.

If you want to completely train your dog your way, you should get a puppy, but be prepared for so much MORE of the training, walking, brushing, playing, feeding, repeat. If you'd like to spend a little less time on training, go for an older dog.

If you can take your dog out for frequent long walks/runs and/or play sessions, you can handle a more active dog, but the exercise will need to be consistent! If not, try a more sedentary dog (what's wrong with laying on the couch?!) ;) Don't forget...there are always dog walkers and doggy day-cares in bigger towns and cities!

If you're like my mom and freak out at the sight of dog hair, a long-coat or double-coat dog is NOT for you. There are two ways to deal with the hair: brush it really often or just let it accumulate and then vacuum.

Dog food can get expensive, especially if you have a larger dog that eats a LOT. So think about how much you're willing to spend on food, and that could narrow down your choices.

Lastly, the medical expenses. If you're getting a younger dog, can you afford/do you want to afford purchasing the dog, the dog's supplies, veterinary visits and shots, etc? If you're getting an older dog, can you afford/do you want to afford supplements, medicines, and surgeries that she may need?

That being said, my questions may or may not lead you to a corgi, but keep in mind--dogs are dogs! They're going to love you so much regardless of what they look like. If you're set on a corgi and you don't think it'll work out right now, I agree with Buttercup that you should wait, because it'll be the best feeling in the world when you finally get that fuzzy little girl with the stubby legs!!!

(I do recommend Brian Kilcommon's "Metrodog." It's about how to raise a dog in a city/apartment setting. It might allay some of your worries!)

(I'll post Skittles and my adoption story later!)

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service