My 7 month old corgi makes it her mission to destroy any and all toys we buy for her. The only toy that is still fully intact is her Kong. I bought her a toy made of fire hose, she killed it. I bought her a tennis ball shaped like a crocodile, she ripped the legs off and then chewed a hole in the ball. Over the weekend we got her a rope with a hard plastic ring at the end and she chewed through through the rope!!

Does anyone else have this problem? Does anyone have any suggestions on toys that she will not destroy in 15 mins!?

Views: 349

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi,
It happened to my Corgi when he was a puppy. Chewed 5 pairs of my Mum's slippers, table & chair legs, toilet rolls etc. Around 6 months of age, they would have replaced their mik teeth with adult teeth. What I've done is I bought him nylabones (better than raw hides) from the petshop to satisfy his chewing cravings. You may like to buy some chemical-free spray from the pet shop to spray on the things that she likes to chew or most likely to chew on.
He's now almost 17 months old and has outgrown some of his chewing habits. You have to let her know too that you won't allow and disapprove it. Be firm and consistent with her. Good luck!
When my dog was teething she would chew on wood, so I gave her an ICE CUBE and she loved it, every now and then I would give one to her and she seemed to stop chewing on stuff now when ever she hears the ice tray she comes running, but I do have a second grade little brother and she likes to get revenge on his toys so she chews them into little peices
my 7 1/2 month corgo is the same way! she LOVES her nylabone...it's a hard plastic bone that she can't destroy. i also got her one of those ropes, but not with the plastic. just one with knots at either end.
My Corgi likes to chew also. She destroys her toys. I do have a sheep for her that I got at Wal~Mart. She hasn't destroyed it yet and she has had it two months. It is made by Country Pet. Lori
Thanks for the suggestions! we have gotten her a nylabone that she still has, as well as a kong and a hard nylabone ball. we've pretty much given into the fact that she kills all her toys so we buy her cheap ones that keep her quiet for 15 mins or so! (latest victim: Frisbee).

We do use the clean earth (i think thats what its called) chewing spray. We spary that on rugs, chairs, bed spreads! lol And that does seem to work really well.
Thanks for all the suggestions and im glad to know its not just my dog! :)
Ah yes, some corgis just decimate toys. Fill the Kong with some plain yogurt and kibble and freeze it. This will give her something to chew/lick for awhile. There is also a bone made out of tire rubber that has done pretty well here. Good luck!
Our Corgi's brother (Charlie the Lhasa) is a chewer. The only thing that can last with him is the firehose and it lasts a little over a month on average. We did find a variant with a noise capability, the Crunch and Crackle from Four Paws.
The Corgi is usually bored with toys, unless he can take them from Charlie. He is, however, food oriented, so we found the Busy Buddy from Premier. It is shaped so he can't get a bite on it, hold treats that he can smell, and has a large central screw to adjust how much gets out. Busy by the hour, but he keeps pushing it under things trying to get a grip on it.
Toys fitted to their personalities and each is happy.
Ken

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service