We have had Lily for 9 Years and she is one of the most well behaved dogs I've ever seen (well, except during rain storms and fireworks, which is another story.) When we brought Izzie home, Lily was so excited to meet her and was very loving and affectionate (like a proud sister.) Until the next day... when the puppy wanted to play, Lily ignored her and any time the puppy went to cuddle next to her, she walked away.

I don't know if Lily got irritated with the puppy when she was up barking all night (probably the first time she was in a crate by herself over night) or she got jealous of the puppy... but I'm looking for some feed back here.

Is this normal behavior? Have you had an adult dog ignore puppies? Do you think they will get along better when the puppy grows up a bit? Lily isn't aggressive towards Izzie at all and even lets it go when Izzie is chewing on her favorite (and only) toy. Lily was never really big into "play" (she never liked toys, all she does is chase light and when she was littler she would chase us in the yard) and is just content cuddling up to you. I'm guessing their personalities are just different, I just expected from Lily's initial behavior that the two were going to get along great!

Lily always looked lonely and I thought getting her a friend would be a wonderful way for her to cheer up a bit, but maybe she's too old now for a puppy. :-/

Views: 85

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The 10 years age difference does make a difference, they definitely have different personality, How does Lily react to other dogs in the past? was she well socialized? It'll take them a while to figure out each other, give it time :)
Unfortunately, Lily didn't have a lot of contact with other dogs but when she did she was usually very calm, never aggressive. She'll sometimes go up to Izzie and sniff her butt but that's about it. I am a little disappointed that they aren't playing. And Izzie sure is too. She gets so frustrated when she goes up to Lily and playfully licks her nose or pats her with her paw and gets little to no response.
Many people feel that getting a pet for their current pet makes them happy. This is rarely the case. While it is always good for dogs to have good socialization with other dogs it doesnt mean that they are lonely in their home without them. In rescue I often get applications from people that want their current pet to have a friend. In reality this is a choice that sometimes turns out not well. Many dogs that have lived alone their entire lives just arent so happy about their life change.
That being said it does appear that Lily will be kind to the puppy. That is a good step in the right direction. If Lily has always looked lonely and sad I would try to find the reason for it. Are you interacting with her daily? Do you take her for walks? Do you play ball? Has she had a good veterinary exam lately? I find often in our busy lives we often forget the one on one attention that dogs need. With the lack of that many will often become much less responsive.
I can assure you that generally nine is not too old. I have a 12 yr. old girl here who loves romping with our pup. I have an 11 yr. old who is still a ball hound. It may just be her personality. Generally pups will bring new life back to older dogs who enjoy the company of other dogs.
Unfortunately, I was away at school for 5 years meaning I was away from her. She belongs to my parents so she gets taken care of by them. I feel my parents don't give her the attention she needs. She was never really a player and never really chased balls or toys or anything like that even when she was a puppy. The only thing she likes to do is lay around, eat and get petted. She has hip problems so I feel a little weary taking her on long walks anymore and she was never properly trained on a leash, I didn't know if it was worth it to try or not. I suppose it won't hurt taking her out on a little walk with the puppy, I just didn't think the two of them are really ready to go out together because their pace is a little different. Do you think that might help them bond more if they have a common goal?

BTW, as a side note, we didn't get the puppy just so she had a friend. It's my puppy that I got so I could socialize with Lily as well as get her trained at home before I move off on my own and didn't have extra help feeding and watching her from my parents and sister, and so when I did move out I had a buddy. :)
Yes, it is never too late to learn, you CAN teach an older dog new tricks :) the walk will be great for them and you to bond and establish pack orders. Activity is good for the soul, corgis are herding dogs and they need the challenge :)

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service