I've read and been told that corgis need a job, otherwise they get bored and into mischief!! Does your corgi have a job and if so, what is it? Was it hard to teach them? I'm trying to think of something mine can do, so hopefully perhaps she won't get so destructive while me and my husband are away at work!! Unfortunately, we live in an apartment and in centralized Orange County, so it's not as if we had land and she could herd some sheep or something! LOL! *sigh* Every day is a new adventure with our Abby!!

Views: 202

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

my dog actually has a job, she comes to work with me and greets customers haha. and plays with kids when their parents are busy talking to me. now that im moving and she isn't comming to work with me so i give her other jobs, mostly ones to do when i am home, like she carrys socks from the bathrooms to the laundry room when i ask her (it wasn't hard to teach it took a couple days of saying pick the sock up and praising her when she brought it to the laundry room, i did it because she always pesters me when i do laundry and it keeps her busy and out of trouble until i am done). during the day i have a place where she can look out the window and i tell her to watch them when i leave (she knows what that means haha, we always tell her to watch them when we see cats and she will sit there and stare intently at the cat until it is out of our yard) it doesn't keep her out of trouble all the time when we aren't around though, she does chew things and gets into trouble, its probably best to crate her when you are gone, or keep her in a room where she cannot get into trouble, or maybe have some interactive toys to keep her busy.
Our little Trudy girl has a few jobs around the house. She brings us the newspaper when we ask. She will pick up her toys and put them in her basket when we get ready to go upstairs. We say the name of the toy and point to it and she'll pick it up, walk it over near to the basket and toss it at her basket. This is a little hit and miss, but she is getting more accurate when she tosses them. Trudy barks when the stove timer goes off. We praise her and sometimes give her a little treat. It would be easy to get her to do more things like this, like when when the phone rings - just praise and some treats to eat and she loves it. She keeps the yard clear of cats and other animals and is always on the watch. She probably has more jobs she does for us that we are not aware of. We believe she understands most of what we say. Corgis are very smart little things.
Sid keeps the cats in line and barks when people walk by in the street. He keeps food off the floor. He also makes sure we keep laughing and smiling, and he is the subject of strangers' adoration.
Soon he will learn agility
Years ago when Silvia was working from home, she used to hide treat throughout our 2000 sqft condo, up stairs and down stairs, then when Mocha wanted her attention or was distracting her from work, she give him the command "go find it" and he will get very excited and start sniffing and hunt for treats, when he finds it, Silvia would praise him, when he didn't find any, she'll say " go find it" then he'll get all excited and run around the condo to find treats again, it tires him out walking up and down those stairs.
Just because you are in an apartment, doesn't mean your corgi will be destructive. They actually make good apartment dogs. You just have to make sure she gets enough exercise each day. Your question about the "job" is a good one. My corgi has lots of jobs. She chases the geese from my pond, she rolls over on command, she does agility jumping with my daughter.......but thte "job" can be as simple as playing "tennis".....every night we take Guinevere out to the yard with a racquet and tennis ball and play tennis with her. We hit the ball as far as we can and she retrieves it. She is rewarded with small treats and she knows this is her "job".....she LOVES it. She gets a good part of her daily exercise from this and also has her "job" need satisfied. Corgis are stubborn but are also very willing students and learn well, so persist and teach your corgi lots of "jobs"......anything that you can teach her to do on command, she'll see as her job. You could take her to a park and eventually train her to play tennis with you off leash. But even a routine in your apartment of asking her to bring you a toy every morning at the same time is a "job"....we do this and then we throw the toy at least a dozen times and reward her. It's lots of little jobs that add up to a satisfied corgi. One last tip....the older they get, the calmer they get, so if you have a puppy, just be patient.
Lily has a very important job~ keeping up with my three girls. She has made it her job to watch them when we are outside. She will immediately run to them if they are away from us, or move from the area that she expects them to be in. Her other job, in her eyes, is official pecan searcher. We have three pecan trees in the backyard and she has found so many pecans. The drawback is that she loves to eat them. We see her relaxing in the grass on some days, cracking pecans and eating the meat. I am sure she will come up with some other jobs, as well as the jobs we give her. She feels very important watching the girls :) I think that is her favorite job!
Cheez-it's job is to keep watch over me and make sure I never get to comfortable. If that happens he will quickly do something he isnt supposed to to remind me to pay attention to him. What a good dog? lol. Actually he is learning to surf.
Caleb comes to work with me everyday. His job is to sit-stay by the front door while I get myself and all my various purses/bags out of the door first, then when I tell him, ok he come barreling out of the apartment and down the stairs headed towards the garage. His next job is to monitor the air conditioning in my car on the way to work. It's on high enough if he can nap while we drive. He is then responsible for scamming any poor unsuspecting coworker that wanders past my office into stopping and petting him. He hops his baby gate to go get them if they don't.

Caleb is also my own little security detail. He follows me everywhere. If he had sunglasses and an ear piece, the look would be complete.

We're working on at-home jobs, because I've noticed that when he doesn't come to work with me (or on weekends) he has energy to burn, even after two walks throughout the day!! We're working on picking up his toys, and letting me know when someone is at the front door. Caleb is decidedly un-Corgi like in that he almost NEVER barks. The only time I can count on him to bark is if someone is upset...even if they're not yelling, he can hear the strain in their voice and barks to let me know that something is wrong and I need to come fix it.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service