Car Safety - Seat Belts / Harness, Crate - Which Type? Which Brand?

I've been researching seat restraint systems for my dog but so far I haven't been satisfied with what I've found so far.

There are several harnesses I've found at Petsmart and Petco. The one I like so far is the PetBuckle at Petsmart. The other products didn't seem too appealing at first glance.

Then as far as products discussed on other forums and getting good reviews, there is the Champion Canine Seat Belt System - http://usak9outfitters.com/ and the Ruff Rider Roadie - http://www.ruffrider.com/. The Champion one has had questionable customer service at times though.

The alternative is having a kennel/crate enclosure which is strapped into the seat. However, that method is not very appealing to me.

There are a couple of issues that have made me hold off until I get more input. First, though I'm not entirely sure, there doesn't seem to be any safety standards that these systems must satisfy. So when I see thin straps and plastic buckles, I question whether it will hold my dog during a crash. And even if it does hold my dog, I wonder whether the straps themselves will injure him.

The other concern is whether the harness will properly fit my dog's proportions. I have had dog harnesses in the past so I know these can fit well. However, for some reason, I find comments on several forums, including the ones here, that dogs are easily getting out of their safety harnesses.

Those two concerns are mostly directed at the cheaper products I find at Petco and Petsmart. The other two products don't seem to have those problems. For those two, the comments I find mostly deal with ease of use.

Anyway, if you use a restraint system, what kind and brand do you use? Are you satisfied with the product? Are you confident it will work in an accident?

Views: 80

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

After my puppy took a face-forward tumble into the dashboard this afternoon after this *ahem* cut me off, I am very interested to see people's opinions and advice on this topic.
I cannot say anything myself since we don't own one. If there was one that allowed her to hang her head out the window still I'd love to find it :D
I would like something like this too. I wish didi could hang her head out the window like she wants, but ever since she JUMPED OUT THE WINDOW WHILE THE CAR WAS GOING 30 MPH, she's been banned from open windows.
True to corgi form, she jumped back up and looked at me like I was crazy when I came running out of the car to see if she was ok. She was like "What's the problem, mom? Can we do it again?" I tell people this story when they are afraid their dog will hurt mine by stepping on her (lolol).
omgoodness I can't imagine her jumping out the window >_< thats just scary.

The only fearful jump she's taken was in petco and I put her in the shopping cart *not the baby holder the actual cart* and going across the parking lot she figured she didn't like it and took and amazing leap over the edge.
<----is a bad mom. neeka sits on my lap and sticks her head out the window.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service