I think maybe Doc doesn't know how to play! He has 3 tennis balls, 2 rope toys, 2 squeak toys, and a frisbee, and he has NEVER played with or chewed on any of them! He just sits and looks at me like he's confused when I throw the frisbee or a ball or try to play with him at all. Billy thinks that maybe this points back to our suspicion that he was ignored/neglected/possibly abused before we got him. We've had him for a month now. I was hoping that by now he would have gotten over his fears and timid behavior, but he still cowers down when we approach him and just seems so unsure of everything. The only time he ever seems really excited/hyper/playful is in the mornings when it's time to go to bed! I work all night and sleep days, and when I go to bed, he goes with me. He seems to know when it's time to go, and just RUNS into the bedroom all excited; wiggling all over and turning circles! It's really adorable, but it's the only time he actually seems playful for a minute! I get into bed and he lays down on his bed which is on the floor next to mine. When it's time to get up and leave the bedroom, he acts like he doesn't really want to come out, but he does it anyway.

So...... anyone have any ideas or input on this one? Do you think maybe Billy is right and we just need to give him more time to learn that he can trust us, relax, and play?

Thanks!

Views: 164

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It is heartwarming to know that Doc is in a loving home now! There is a huge adjustment taking place and yes, I would agree with Billy that Doc might need lots of space as he realizes that no harm will come to him. Initially, I would keep my home life free of noisy strangers, startling or abrupt sounds, loud music or anything that might cause Doc added stress. Positive, consistent and loving behavior reinforcement combined with leashed walks exploring nature will permit your sweet corgi to realize that life is good, you are for real and that he can exhale. We hope that you will keep us posted and corgi hugs to Doc from Bear, Tasha and Linus.
Hmmm.... that might explain why he loves my bedroom so much..... it's the quietest room in the house! We have cats and they can get pretty wild and rowdy once in a while, so maybe they are stressing him out. And when he and I go to my room, it's usually just us. No kitties allowed! And my room is at the opposite end of the house from the living room and den, where the TVs are always on! When he and I aren't in the bedroom, he spends alot of time just laying in front of the bedroom door. So at least I can understand that aspect of his behavior a little better now...... thank you Nancy!

Good grief, I feel like an idiot now for not figuring that out on my own! :P
I think Billy is right......pretty much sounds like the dog was ignored at his old home. I have a corgi/chow rescue who is was like that. She just looks at the toys and stares, waiting for them to do something. But, in the last year, I've seen more interaction with her and toys when her brother Duncan is playing with them. She likes to try and steal it away from him if he has one in his mouth and they start to frap. Which has become a game for Duncan, also. He'll grab a toy and start running up to her and then running away, trying to get her involved. She also has taken a toy and thrown it up in the air a couple of times, do the "kill shake" as I call it....AND I MISSED THEM EACH TIME!!!!! My husband told me about it.

Doc may get interested in toys at a later date, just wait. He is still confused as to how his new life with you is suppose to be. It could take up to 2 years for him to become comfortable, just have patience and continue the love and gentleness you have shown him the first month.
Dear Starr: Please don't ever feel like an idiot for not understanding what is going on in Doc's mind. I went to your page and read the circumstances under which he found you and I thank you for taking him into your home. He is a beautiful tri colored boy! This is a blessing for both of you - he has found stability and you now have the precious gift of corgi love. I have two red headed tris and one red and white fluffy. Corgis usually attach themselves to one person and yet are willing to interact with your other human family. It appears that Doc has fallen for you. Again Starr, keep us posted and feel free to ask all those questions that come to your mind while going through this period. Corgi lovies from Williamsburg, VA: Nancy, Bear, Tasha and Linus ( aka Heronsway Land of the Hokies - he arrived home the day of the tragedy at my daughter's dorm (and campus) at Virginia Tech. Talk about the power of corgi love, all three dogs helped us through such a terrible time)
These folks are so knowledgeable, I just love it!

You could try some plushy toys, especially the kind with a squeaker. Those are Sidney's favorite, and I spoil him by not being able to resist new toys. He's not a big fan of rope, plastic or rubber toys, but a plushie is heaven! And start small (but today I found SId a plush snake that's twice as long as he is, LOL!)
How old is he?

I'd recommend finding a private trainer to help you learn his behaviors and get him evaluated. They can also be a good source to try and get his interest in toys without scaring or over-stimulating him.

That being said - you may have to show him how to play. Dogs love interaction from us and usually prefer we play with them rather than they play by themselves. They are social creatures and learn from play. You can teach him many things simply by playing with him.

I'd get some plush toys with squeakers in them (you can order cheap ones from PetEdge.com), some rubber/latex toys that squeak and see if size is an issue. Maybe he prefers small toys as opposed to large ones. Maybe he likes stick shaped toys as opposed to round ones. Maybe he doesn't like rubber toys at all and is stimulated more with stuffed toys.

Get on the floor and play with him. If he doesn't show any interest after you make a fuss over the toy put the toy away in a drawer. Over a week or two take the toy out of the drawer and make a big fuss over it but put it back and don't let him have it. By the end of the week he'll want that toy sooo bad.

I love playing tug or chase the rope toy. I'll sit on the floor with my corgis and play tug with them or let them chase the end around the house while I run around. It is lots of fun and focuses their biting on a toy instead of me. They get rewarded for choosing to bite the toy instead of me. I began this game as a puppy and it is really great to teach dogs bite inhibition since you create rules - "anytime your teeth touch skin, fun stops and toy gets put away" is one rule. They also have to drop the toy when we ask and you teach them how to do that. DO LET YOUR DOG WIN THE GAME!!! What fun is playing a game if you never win it? Not very much fun right? He doesn't have to win all the time but let him win sometimes otherwise his interest will wane even further.

My dogs love to play before bedtime. Has Doc adjusted to your sleeping schedule? Sunlight might be throwing off his internal clock.
We found Doc as a stray or dumpee, and when I took him to a groomer just under a month ago, she estimated him to be between 2-3 years old.
Thanks for the tips!
Hello Starr!! I also work nights and sleep all day so when I get home from work she gets super excited and runs to the bed because she knows its cuddle time. I let her sleep in my bed because she has always been a timid girl since I got her. She sleeps right next to me up against my back and if I move she wakes up and makes sure everything is ok.

I also second the plush toys, I think they are everyone's favorite. We have a little hippo that we've had since day one and she carries it around and puts it in "safe" places, like behind the couch and under the blankets. Doc needs a lot of love and you are the right person to give it to him. He will warm up to everyone in some time. Good luck, and keep us updated!! You will be in my thoughts and prayers
Thank you, Ladies, for the tips and advice! I am going to PetSmart tomorrow for a few things and will pick up a few different sqeaker plushies and regular plushies to try with him. I am also going to be looking for something like a Peticure (pet nail filing tool). I think those are only sold on TV, but PetSmart may have something similar. Doc's nails are getting a little long..... he's "clicking" with every step on the laminate floor, and I've read that's a sign that he's due for a trim.

Thanks again!

Starr
Starr,
Before you do his nails, make sure he's okay with you messing with his feet. A lot of corgis, including several on this site, are pretty touchy about pedicures. Acclimate him to having his feet messed with. Start slowly and once he's comfortable with you just holding his feet, begin to press on each toe, then take out the clipper and let him get used to the sound it makes, then clip just one toenail and guage the response to see if you need more work. I wouldn't want a bad experience for him since he's still getting used to your family.

I also second the accolades and praise for taking him into your home and showering him with the love he so dearly needs.
He's been to a groomer twice since we got him. The first time, the groomer used the regular nail clippers and he seemed fine with it. The second time was yesterday, actually. I took him with me to PetSmart and got a coupon for a free nail clipping as we walked in the door! So I took him to their grooming room and asked them to file his nails instead of clipping so I would know whether or not he was going to have a problem with it. They did, and he pulled away a little bit on the first 3-4 nails just as the dremmel touched each one, but it didn't seem to scare him, it just kinda tickled, I guess. But he quickly got used to it and was so good throughout the rest of the process! So I know I got lucky enough to get a corgi who doesn't mind having his feet groomed!
Sounds very similar to our Camber. She does not play with toys. Maybe rolling the ball in peanut butter or something would help? I were going to give tha whirl with Camber. She rarely show any outward signs of excitement. It is improving. We've had here for almost 6 month and she's 6 years old.

On the other hand, you are providing a good home to Doc and he must know he's in a better situation than before. If he doesn't have interest in toys, just think how much less clutter there will be in your home!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service