Mochi for the most part is getting to the point where she is listening to me more and more. We've been taking her to different corgi meet up's, to the dog park, and to play with the other neighborhood dogs everyday. So she is socialized. This just started a couple weeks back but she will start almost attacking other dogs, but in a annoying playful way. This doesn't happen all the time but mostly will only do it to 1 particular dog. Mostly she will start jumping forward and nipping at their ears. And its only to certain dogs, dogs that seem to be more submissive. Some barking but not fighting. I know what that looks like since some other dogs have attacked her, her body language is not stiff its playful body language. She will jump up hop down and bow then keep doing it over and over again, mind you i'm talking about Mochi and an 3 year old Golden Retriever. And its always the same dog. I think that she's trying to initiate play but i'm not sure. She did this also to a lab puppy at agility class and the teacher actually commented that its "rude doggie behavior" for Mochi to do that. What I have been doing is when ever she starting this behavior, I say no. I try to grab her to give her a time out but she keeps jumping away from me and jumping toward the dog. Yesterday she did this again and one of the other dog owners mentioned that we should try to curb this behavior. Should I start brining a spray bottle since I can't grab her to put her on her leash for a time out? Is this normal behavior for a 1 year old corgi? I'm not sure how to deal with this.

Views: 426

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hmm. My Theo chews on ears all the time, but it's only in play and he doesn't nip and lunge so much as chew. So does it look like Mochi is challenging and dominating the other dogs, rather than just initiating play?

To me it just sounds like she's being a dog. Some dogs are submissive, some are dominant. I guess to me it's like telling a person to change their personality. Good luck with training for that! Hehe.
I think its a dominance thing, because she doesn't nip like that at the other dominant dogs. She just does it to the submissive ones.

I just need her to stop...
Madog does that to his Dachshund buddy Bubbles. I was feeling bad thinking Madog was being mean but when he stopped for a break Bubbles came looking for more ear action and was poking Madog with his nose. Maybe it is the same for the Golden Retriever she needs a little Corgi dominance in her life.

Are the dogs complaining or just the owners?
The first time Mochi did this to the Golden Retriever, he hid between his owners legs. Which is a amazing feat since he's 65lbs.... But i'm pretty sure he doesn't enjoy it, in fact he seems to ignore it. But its mostly the owners that are complaining. I just want my pup to play nicely since this is an everyday event and a neighborhood bonding thing we do.
OK the Golden is a wuss. But that aside I watched Caesar Milan say that you should exercise your dog before the puppy park so they are calmer. Maybe walk her before hand?

She is becoming a rambunctious teenager and you know teenagers don't have manners.
Ok the Golden is a Wuss... but i mean Moch's 20lbs.... seriously??? ha ha We have to walk to the park so she's panting by the time we get there. Even if we've been all over town to the dog park and other places and i still go and meet up with her friends in the evening, she'll still do it. She's a never ending pit of energy...
LOL! Doesn't exercising your dog before doing to the dog park completely defeat the purpose? No way! :p

Is sounds like you've got the right idea with Mochi. I always look to the other dog to see whether what Theo is doing is play or something more. If the other dog is crying, yelping, or running away (even if it's because they're a chicken), I would try and stop the behavior.

Hmm...I haven't really heard a lot of methods for putting a stop to behaviors with other dogs. Some kind of negative reinforcement obviously. Does she listen if you tell her "no" or "uh-uh"? You could always try a timeout. :) I've heard that work for some people.
One would think so... I know that is what I thought. But who am I to disagree with the Dog Whisperer.?
I hereby disagree with the dog whisperer! o_O
LOL he isn't going to invite you to the doggie center to meet Daddie if you talk like that.
What is a Daddie?
Daddie is one of Ceaser's dog's He like this big pitbull rescue that's the most gentle dog Ever. he always brings him out for examples.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service