About to pick up my new red and white Corgi in a week and a half, I haven't had to take care of a puppy in about 11 years, I know the breeder will have tips for me but what should I pick up from the store prior to picking him up? I know dog bowls, chew toys, leash/collar, playpen...what else am I missing?

Views: 122

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Long-tooth undercoat rake (Bargain Hound is best), curved slicker brush, bottle of bitter apple spray, toenail clippers or dremel set, puppy shampoo, flea/tick/heartworm stuff (depending on where you live), healthy dog/puppy food, healthy training treats, crate, cheap doggy bed (in case he chews it), ID tag? Maybe a couple training books or DVDs for puppies, since it's been 11 years (unless you've got those already lol)?
Thanks a lot!!
And spot cleaner for your carpet!
Haha, of course of course. :]
LOL I can't believe I forgot this. One of the most important things!
Nature's Miracle, Grannicks Bitter Apple spray (to spray on things he shouldn't chew on), baby wipes (low rider corgis = dirty bellies & the wipes are good in cleaning them up...plus to clean any poop that sometimes sticks to their bottoms). I get the poop bags at the dollar store (great deal!). Are you planning to crate train him?

The breeder should give you several days worth of the food the puppy has been eating - don't switch foods too quickly since this can cause gastroenteritis in the dog, a gas condition that can be fatal in puppies (the gas builds up and blocks their intestines so they can't poop/pee plus they can't keep anything down, not even water, since there's nowhere for it go - as a result, they can dehydrate quickly). If you plan to switch, do a slow mix over several weeks, gradually increasing the ratio of new brand/old brand until the switch is complete.
Thank you! Yes, I do plan on crate-training. I've been reading up on it a lot but still any tips would be definently appreciated!
There are some great crates now that have a 'growing up' settup on them so you don't have to buy another as your pup gets bigger or have a crate where they poop in the corner cuz its so big haha.

All it is in an extra wall that goes on the inside to make it smaller for em.
Ask your breeder what kind of food the puppy is currently eating. Don't forget about training treats and carpet spray!
oh yea and do some research on a good puppy brand food for em :)
One more thing to add to the little bits I already added hehe :) Don't forget to play and pet and love your puppies feet a little bit everyday and hold their food and pet them while they're eating. Makes life so much easier in the coming years if your pup is used to all that handling.
Don't forget pee pads if you're going to use them. They were a lifesaver with Theo. Also something to clean out his ears, and a toothbrush if you're planning to brush his teeth. Poop bags if you're planning to take puppy for walks, or just to have on hand. Car harness if you're planning on using one. There's a ton of stuff, it just depends on what you're planning to do. Of course, those things you don't need to get right away. You'll be making lots of trips to the pet store once the little guy is home with you. ;)

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service