Anyone ever have ant contamination in their dog food?

We bought a new bag of food like two days ago and as always put it in a container designed to keep bugs out and keep the food fresh... well.. we think that there were larvae in the food- when i opened it today it was completely riddled with little/baby ants. NONE on the outside of the container. When I shifted through the food with a scooper tons came rushing up.

Anyone else have a problem like this? Did it hurt the dogs?

Views: 3546

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Never had a problem with that. I have heard that the dog food stays fresher if you leave it in its original bag it comes in and then put it in a storage container of some sort. Something about not exposing the dog food to plastic. I too used to dump the bag of food in the container and get rid of the bag, not any more I keep the food in its bag and put it into a storage container to keep the plastic from the food.
Does the plastic itself contaminate the food? I know there are water and soda bottles that they say to only use once depending on the number on the bottom of the bottle because chemicals leech into whatever you're drinking.. (my bf is anal about that right now.... oye..)

I don't see how the chemicals can leech into the dog food because its not a liquid form but I've been wrong before heheh :)
That is what I heard and I am taking no chances!
It actually only if you heat up the "bad"plastic it will release the toxins.... I don't really see if the harm if you don't heat up the plastic with the food in it.
yea i don't understand the water bottles but I guess soda could do it since coke can clean pennies hahahha.
ohhhhhh and my only huge issue so far about putting Roxi's food in a bin is that recently I read about poisoned dog food coming out of a factory and to look at the pin on the bag for the recall.......

except I had already thrown the bag out :(
you put the food in the bin without the bag, I am not understanding why you cant put the food in a container with its original packaging?
oh we just pour it in since we bought the container for that purpose. I was talking about the poison mention because it was just mentioned a few days ago on the news and we've been pouring the food in the container for a year now and I've never had this problem of wondering if its on recall or not hehe.

We got the container because it was on wheels and we buy her food in bulk because its cheaper and having a small apartment with not a lot of space we could just roll it into a corner.

We were also above a restaurant and wanted a container to hold the dog food that sealed tight so we wouldn't attract mice or bugs which was an issue with my old apartment across the street :/ Apparently the people before had dogs and the mice chewed through the bags to get food out.
Where the larvae in the container before the food? What kind of a container- plastic, glass etc? Did they eat through the bottom of the container? I have never heard of this before. I keep my dog food in the original bag that it came in and clip it closed.
If none of these are true.Yuck! I would find another brand of dog food.
There are a few possibilities:

1. a good food container is air tight with gasket around the opening, check and see if the gasket is still good.
2. get a zip lock bag, fill it with dry basil, then use a pin to poke holes through it, this keeps the bugs away, it also works for rice :)
That's a good trick I've never heard of that before!
So the other day I discovered a larvae sitting on the can of dog food and threw it away. Then just 3 days ago, I had to throw away a whole container of bones away because there were 3 larvae in the container disinigrating the biscuits. It was disgusting, I have no idea what kind of bug they were maybe maggots or gross ant larvae. This weekend I bought Wyatt all new biscuits, treats bones etc. He was very happy of course for fresh delicious treats.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service