Hi, my 8-month-old corgi, Brian, has recently developed some sort of issue where he begins to snort/heave heavily, almost convulsively. It sounds a little like a cross between a snort, a sneeze, and slightly a bit like a choke, but I can't pin it decisively on any one of the above. These episodes have only occured 3 or 4 times, but they've been within a week's amount of time, and have lasted from anywhere between 5 seconds to a minute. I've been able to get them to stop by having him drink water and also my trying to calm him down and I've tried massaging his throat as well (although I'm not sure if that helped).

Initially, I thought possibly allergies, but I wouldn't know what he was reacting to, because all the episodes have occured in very different contexts (one was right after I put him down to go to bed, and the most recent after him eating). Now, I'm more inclined to say that perhaps he is aspirating something in his trachea (for the bedtime, possibly saliva, for the dinner time, food) which is getting into his lungs. The episodes have definitely been scary, especialy for him as he works himself up about it, and I'm afraid that it'll happen when he's alone and he won't know what to do. Has anyone else had any experience with anything like this or have any other ideas to what could be going on?

Views: 52

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Is it reverse sneezing......something like this happened to Lance a couple of months ago.....it was really scary sounding like he was choking or was having a hard time breathing....it was our first time dealing with it so I took a video of it to show the vet. It was reverse sneezing and caused by allergies! It has happened since we took him to the vets office a couple of months ago. The vet had us put him on benadryl for a little while. Hope this helps. Lances episodes happended at all different times as well. I did notice too when we were taking him outside he was sneezing and he still does occassionally when sniffing the grass.
Yes, it is scary, but some people call it a backward sneeze. It almost seems like they are gasping for air. I've found if you blow gently into their face around their nose, it eases it. Duncan and Chloe do that occassionally themselves, sometimes out of nowhere, but more often, while drinking water.
Dax does this too, it's reverse sneezing. I usually just massage his throat (if he'll let me) and that helps, though he will stop on his own if you don't, so I don't think you need to worry about it happening when you aren't home. He'll be fine. :)
This makes me feel a little better that maybe it's just a reverse sneeze. I think it's probably that, as it sounds very much like the descriptions from Lou Ann and Natalie. I'll keep a watch on it and see if I think it's getting more serious or maybe bring it up with the vet next time I see him. Thanks!
I've often wondered about that! My older dog Bruce will occasionally do this. It really does sound scary, but he'll do it for...what...10-15 seconds, then he's perfectly fine. He's the only one of our three dogs that I've seen do it. Thanks for the info!
My seven month old corgi has started this in the past week. This was one of the reasons I joined this site was to ask that very question. It happens at various times of the day and night and last for different amounts of times.
Same with my boy. I'm thinking that maybe what's triggering it for my dog is the fact that since it's fall, the weather has been changing, and the leaves falling and raining has created some allergens that he hasn't faced yet. One possible conclusion to what's been happening I guess.
I think it could be allergies though that's the only affects I've seen from Roxi if she has them. I see her do this at least once a day and before and after she seems perfectly fine. I've read about others with this issue on here and it doesn't seem like something to really heavily worry about. Though putting them on meds for a little bit may ease the allergies just like humans do :)
This website claims to know why -> http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_ReverseSneezing.html
I assume that if it's a soft-palate irritation; then they make the noise because they're trying to blow air over it to dislodge the thing that they think is there. Like when guys make a hocking noise to dislodge a loogie. ;)
Thanks for the article! That explains a lot.
Yeah, that article was helpful, thanks!
Yes I agree the article was very interesting.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service