Al & Gwynn are each good at recall ...when they want to be.

If Gwynnie is really interested in a friend or an animal, she ignores me.
Al will often obey... on the third command, with that slow "I was gonna do this anyway" insolence of a teenager.

Particular problem:
We let them out one last time, briefly, before bedtime.
AL quickly learned that he does not, in fact, have to come in when called, and that I cannot catch him. He is awfully naughty. I am powerless. I'm reduced to putting him out on a long leash at this time.

I want them to obey, first time, almost instantly.

Suggestions?

Views: 271

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm glad you asked this question. I've been wondering if there is a fantastic secret myself. Even though we've gone through beginning, intermediate, and continuing drop-in obedience, Sidney is great on recall under calm, controlled situations, but will take off at the drop of a hat if the mood strikes him. If we had him on reliable recall he would not have smacked face-first into a moving car yesterday and proceeded to get us all into a panic!

My boss showed us how he has his dogs trained on recall using a sports whistle. I may give this a try.
Come? Charlie has always thought that command is optional. He just turned six and will occasionally shock me by taking off when I least expect it. We only go outside the fenced part of our yard if we are on a leash. But sometimes, if he thinks he can slip out the cracked front door, he's gone like a shot. Very annoying and frightening at the same time.
Thats when I call him my devil dog! Sorry, I'm no help at all. All I can say is they can be very stubborn. Thats one of the reasons why love them so much - isn't it?
I am so very glad I am not the only one with this problem! My corgi is about 7 months old and I thought that maybe this was just a puppy thing. But she went from coming to the command just a few months ago to now looking at me with her 'whatever" look as I like to call it. She will hide under the bed, she will run around the island in the kitchen, if she gets out the front door without her leash on then she will take off down the street. She even will take off at other peoples houses without being on a firm leash. I was told to use lots of treats, well I have and even if it is something she really likes she will only come close enough to attempt to get it then take off again. VERY FRUSTRATING! Particularly since I have another young dog that so far does mind but I don't want him learning this very bad habit, the other day they got away from the kids out front and my oldest son had to chase them down to the house 2 neighbors away. I would also appreciate any advice on this subject.
I think it depends on the situation. For just regular recall my husband and I will periodically play a game with Theo: the recall game! Basically we get his absolute favorite food (cheese!) and sit at either end of the house. We take turns calling him to us. Sometimes we give him the cheese, sometimes not, but Theo has a great time running between us and getting something yummy.

When I can't get him to come inside I just walk inside and close the door. I wait 30 seconds and open the door and bam! every time I open the door again there's a Corgi on the other side!

If you're having trouble catching him, chase never works. Try running the opposite direction. A lot of times Theo will stop and chase me. Or try teaching an emergency down, meaning that Al will drop to the ground and wait for you to give him direction. (This is just down, but with a most serious tone and lots and lots of treat reinforcement.)
McConnell(?) in "The Other End of the Leash", says that in her doctoral thesis, she studied 16 unrelated languages and the words professional animal trainers used. "STOP!" is always a shouted monosyllable. Note how it sounds like "COME!" She suggested making "Come!" into a chase game: walk away, clapping hands, "Come.Come.Come.Come.Come!"

She says the body language of squaring-off, facing the dog, means, "Back Off!" Hence, you turn away, run away, make it into a chase game.
I highly recommend you purchase the Really Reliable Recall DVD by Leslie Nelson. Schools are even using her techniques to create a class centered solely on recalls! (I'm participating in assisting on one right now actually).

There are lots of exercises you can do to work on different types of recalls - your regular "come" recall, an emergency recall, recalls away from dogs/people/food/toys - everything. You have to take it in baby steps.
Thanks for this valuable suggestion.
How old are your Corgis? I have 6 of them and I know this scenerio all too well but there are simple ways to avoid it and get them under control. Alot of training issues are alot more extensive then the main issue. Sometimes its the whole picture of the dog and you together that needs viewing for a situation to be solved. I would be more then willing to advise further if you could elaborate further or give me a call so we can talk this thoroughly through. Good luck.
I really appreciate your response about this behavior. The 'come' at our house is not a problem unless it involves Lilly (10 months) coming into the house from the front yard (but it is somewhat of a little hiccup if she is in the back. I think the only reason she comes in from the backyardm is that she thinks she will be able to go into the front yard!). In fact, the problem is so bad, the front yard is only visited if she is on a leash. This behavior of not coming in from the front yard was a gradual process. She use to come in with the other dogs, but not any more. Another thing, when Lilly is in the house, if we allowed, she would stay at the front window and just look outside!! Yes, it is hard to get her to 'come' away from the window. I have never had this problem with other dogs, but this is my first cardi.
Am willing to go back to square one, but am at my wits end. I can't have a dog that does not respond to 'come' either when I or anyone else calls.
She is very smart, learns quickly and remembers all types o other commands. Oh she participates in 'dog school' - we are at the intermediate level. Am grateful for any suggestions.
Thanks
Lilly's Mom
Al is just over 2 now. Gwynnie is 5 1/2.

MagnoliaFly suggested a "Really Reliable Recall" DVD by Leslie Nelson; I may try that.

Part of the situation may be that, as a 2nd child, Al has not had as much individual one-on-one time as Gwynnie has.

The worst situation is the last-time-outside before bedtime: in good weather, Al will refuse to come when called; he knows I can't catch him and that he can win this game, so I've lost control. He loves it.

The bottom line: I do let the dog off-leash on mountain trails and instant, reliable voice command would be critical if we encounter horses or wildlife. I do want them to pass the Porcupine Test and the Skunk Test.

Thanks for your offer to discuss this; I'lllook for a phone# on your page.
- John
The DVD will explain the different types of recalls. One is an emergency recall that you only use in emergencies but that you practice every day and pay HIGHLY for it every single time the dog comes to you. Another type of recall is the regular recall using come or the dogs name.

There are lots of exercises you have to do to work up to coming past enticing objects, people, wildlife, other dogs, distractions and smells. The program works if you do the work with your dog.

A big, BIG thing to remember is to NEVER EVER call your dog to you when you are about to do something the dog views as negative. Things like, going into the crate, nail clipping, baths, coming inside (stopping playtime outside) will destroy your recall effectiveness. Why? They remember what happened the last time you called them to you. This is why it is important to play the "catch and release" game with your dog while they are playing outside. Calling your dog to you and then releasing them to go play again several times lets them know that you aren't always going to be stopping playtime.

If the dog loves baths or nail clippings than by all means call the dog to you. Otherwise, go and get your dog to do those things.

The DVD really works and I think it will give you tools to work on your recall with your dog and make it a lot stronger.
Maybe you can give me some advice. When we're home, Wally is almost always by my side, following me from room to room and usually comes when I call him, but when it's time to put his leash on, he'll run away. If i turn around and walk away, he'll follow, sit down and when I approach again he'll take off again. This usually happens a few times because he finally gets leashed up. How do I teach him to not run, actually sit and stay, and not tense and flinch so much?

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service