So bindi sometimes has a nasty habit of eating her poop.
i saw on petco's web site that there something u can feed them to curb this habit. Is this safe or effective? or is there another better alternative?

Views: 139

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

hmmmm daisy hasnt done that yet...??? how old is bindi? my german shepherd dose that but hes starting to stop
While most disgusting to us it is not an uncommon thing for a dog to do. Some of the products do help but only for the waste of the dog that it is being fed. Best to make a correction if you see it happen and clean up the yard quickly.
I agree with Sam. Cleaning up the yard is one of the best ways to keep a dog from eating their scat. While on walks, if the dog stops, correct it. Thats the best way of it hehe.

you do have to be careful about these products though... especially if it involves feeding your dog something. Make sure to read the ingrediants and find web sites specially for these products to see whats said and reviews and such. I'm learning quickly to hunt down every scrap of info before taking a dive on something.
The is some spice, I will try and find what it is, you can mix with their food, tastes good the first time through but, makes the poop undesireable to eat. I will find what it is and share it, but this isn't uncommon
thanks guys! To answer everyone questions, She is almost 8 months old. We dont have a problem with her in the yard, She still has accidents in the house (on her puppy pad) and thats usually what she'll eat it off of, never outside. So if we dont catch her doing her business she will eat it right away like its a tasty ice cream sunday! When we do catch her eating it we correct her.
I wouldn't give her any kind of supplement with out researching it first. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I like your suggestion of the spice Brenda. It would be great if you could find out what it is! That way i know it wont be anything that will harm my baby! :)
We have this problem with Bingley and Lizzy. There's nothing worse than catching a whiff of their breath when they come in from outside!

There's actually a name for this behavior - coprophagia. My mom started using Deter, a supplement available at Petsmart. She said that it worked while she was giving them the recommended dose, but when she stopped giving it to them they started back up again. She asked the vet and he said that it is a very difficult habit to break. No matter what method you use (tablets, spices, behavior correction), you have to be vigilant about maintaining the association between the behavior and the negative consequence.

Here's a link to a related article. It says that if you can correct the behavior at an early age it may not become a habit. Otherwise, prevention (cleaning up before it can be eaten) is the best option. Good luck!
oddly Ein has only gone number two twice since bringing him home, and both of these were outside. i'm beginning to wonder if this is what he is doing. i smelled his breath when i got home today, and it was horrid... no messes on the floor though... and i have done some research on it and i have decided to purchase S.E.P. (stop eating poop) made by Solid Gold. the majority of reviews on the web give it two thumbs up so i guess we'll try this since we can't always pick up after him.

here is an interesting article on the situation...
http://www.calgaryhumane.ca/animal_behaviour_dog_coprophagia.asp
Merlin eats poop quiet often (whenever we go outside, actually). It isn't so much that he eats his poop but rather the poop from all the other dogs in the apartment complex (I hate that these people refuse to pick up their crap). I've been working with him to get him to stop but it can be extremely difficult. I find it best just to keep Merlin on a short leash and watch it.
A little meat tenderizer sprinkled on the dogfood will make the poop unpalatable.
Michelle
I got this tip from the TV show, "Its Me or the Dog."

Feed your dog little chunks of pineapple before or during their meal. Apparently dogs HATE the taste of pineapple flavored poo. Kind of interesting, and you don't have to go overboard on pet item expenses.
I came here to suggest pineapple, but I see it's been covered! Cheez-it used to try and taste his poop right after he went! It's like he didnt see where it JUST CAME FROM. Pineapple worked like a charm.
yea i heard pineapple is the natural cure for that.
yogi does or did the same. im not 100% sure if he still does, since it happens while we're away and hes in the pen with the pee pad. i usually search for markings along the pad. i tried the generic tablets sold at petco and it did work. i would use it in his breakfast since thats the poo that would be present on the pad when we're away.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service