Hi everyone - I'm so glad I found this site, and everyone seems so helpful. I really appreciate any advice that you experienced corgi owners can offer. I am adopting a 4 year old Corgi named Bandit on January 2. This will be the first dog I have ever owned, though my husband grew up with lots of dogs, just not Corgis.

I did a lot of research on Corgis and spoke with owners in my area before deciding to adopt a Corgi. I like their size, dispositions, etc.

Any advice on how to bring Bandit home and make him feel welcome? Any advice for me on how to make sure I am a good Corgi owner?

Thanks so much.

Views: 357

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Be glad to oblige! Bandit will love nothing more than to be included in most everything you do. Most corgis are quite adaptable to new living situations. A few things that I could not stress enough. One is to not over feed this boy. Most of my adult corgis maintain a wonderful weight on 1/2 cup of food twice daily. Corgis shed incessantly. Groom regularly to remove loose hair. Corgis are notoriously bossy and a bit possessive. You need to decide what rules you would like in place before his arrival. Those rules must be consistent with all family members. Corgis are most opportunistic and will take advantage where they can. Provide a good outlet for his energies and his mind. Bored corgis often find their way to trouble. Best of luck with your new pal!
First, congrats on Bandit! You will just love being a corgi parent! They are intelligent, headstrong, heart-tuggers. I second Sam on the food. Corgis don't have an "off" switch when it comes to eating. And with their body-size and shape, extra weight can be very hard on their backs and hips. Our adults get 1 cup x once a day. They're beggars and will drive us nuts, but one must be strong in the face of corgi cuteness!

With our 5 corgis, we could make 2 extra ones each day with the extra fur. Get yourself a Furminator and a coat rake. They will be invaluable to you! It's important to get Bandit used to being groomed and do it often.

Be sure he gets LOTS of exercise. Long walks are great. Dog parks are good. Even better, find an agility or dog sports group where you're at. Corgis need the challenge. (A tired dog is a good dog.) It not only helps keep them in shape, but keeps their mind active. In the summer, consider a doggie backpack. You can take bottled water, freeze it, and put it in the side pockets to keep your corgi cool--and Bandit can have his own water carrier!! Works wonders.

But, most of all, once Bandit gets used to you and your house, consider training classes. Corgis respond well to the discipline and it helps you establish your pack in a fun way.

Good luck! I know you'll just love your BunnyButt Bandit!!!
A backpack literally "on the dog"?? Or a human-mounted pack.
Bandit is such a cutie :) how exciting it must be for you! Prepare your home and get everyone in your family on board with the rules. You may want to throw in one of your old t shirt into the crate, also if the litter mates or parents are still there, rub their scent on the shirt as well. If you have any questions, just ask! We're always here to help :)
Well my goodness doens't seem I can add anything that wouldn't be repeated haha!

Congratz on your new 'child' and Im sure you'll make a great parent :)
Hi my husband and I just purchased our "Deuce" any advice on housetraining? how quickly do they learn commands?
Attachments:
Congratulations on getting your first dog and a corgi. Honestly, they're such a silly and sweet breed. You will be so happy with your corgi! I think consistency is the best with any type of training. Be consistent with the right commands and trainings. Corgis are bright so they'll learn quick. They do have a mind of their own but they love to please and are very affectionate.

Also, they love to play so take them out for walks and challenge them to play. They do know when to tired down so you'll get some rest too!

Enjoy and hope you share more stories about Bandit.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service