Hi,
I'm still waiting for my first corgi to be born, but already mad about getting everything prepared. I have solved most of important things, but still have at least two questions for pembroke owners:
What's your (male) corgi neck girt? (need to know that so I can buy those nice leather collars)
Is a travel dog-bag for car or dog show use (aka Mobile Kennel) measuring 60x50x50cm big enough for corgi?

...we have a kennel for our corgi already and its sleeping area is a bit bigger, that's the reason why I'm asking.

So, that's for the measures today, thanks a lot for your replies.
W@:)

Views: 44

Attachments:

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Rather than being mad why dont you just savor the moment. You will have plenty of time to enjoy your new pup before having all the appropriate gear for showing. Your breeder should be a big help in this area and will probably love to meet you at shows and direct you the the most widely used gear among pembrokes owners. In our area most folks dont use leather collars to show. Depend on the knowledge and experience of your breeder. Have fun with your new pup!
It's hard to tell the size when your corgi is still a pup, I have seen corgi sizes can range from the 20s to 50 lbs full grown. I recommend you get a small collar or harness for start, get one of those kennels that can handle a full size and then subdivide the space and slowly expand the space until your pups learn to not soil in his own crate as he gets bigger. If you have any other questions just ask :)
I wouldn't make yourself nuts over getting everything "just right" right now. Just enjoy the experience!!! It's not like you can't get all the gear as you go along. As for crating, a crate should be no bigger than to stand up, turn around and lay down. (I never get the "lie" vs. "lay" thing right!) Anything more than that, your doggie could use the extra space to eliminate. As Sam says, get one you can divide as your baby grows. We have the two-door I-CRATE at the house. I love them. They do come with a divider and have doors on both the short and long sides so you can set them any way you want.

Relax and enjoy!

Cindi
Cute kennel, but you'll find rather quickly that your little one will claw or bite his way out. We sell cloth kennels at PetSmart and I cannot begin to tell you how many we get returned because the dogs ruined them or the zippers broke. Purchase a wire crate for home and a kennel-cab for travel.

I-CRATE makes great two-door crates that are dividable and easy to assemble. I have several of them at home and they're great. PetSmart sells them. As for kennel-cabs, they're the plastic kind we cart in the car. The reason I like the wire crates for inside is the air circulation. The kennel-cabs are not as airy.

You have plenty of time to get all the things you want for your new dog. RELAX and enjoy this time. You'll be glad you did.
Thanks for the crate ideas ! I was looking for a grate that was more open for summer . That I-Crate looks like the one .When we were first getting Brynn at 8 weeks i thought the mesh crate looked cool , but the pet store owner warned us about the chewing .. I agree on getting two as well , one for home , and one for the car/travel . I think it' fun as well , at 13 weeks we have to get a new harness and kennel-cab already ( Thank god we borrowed the first one ! LOL Brynn is growing up so fast and now, i know what they mean when saying to savor this time :) have fun with your new puppy :)
Hi! Oh, I'm not nuts without reason :) It's just that I'm just finishing my university now and I won't have enough time for next few months. I hope that the pup (which will be born probably in early April) will be my big "gift" for my degree. So I'm trying to manage all the practical things now, when I've got quite lot of time and don't have to study. I'll check if the I-CRATE is sold in our country, not sure about that. Anyway thanks for the idea!
W@:)
P.S.: About the advices given by breeders: Corgi is very rare in our country, so I'm glad that I found a breeder living near my place. Anyway, this "breeder" still feeds his dogs raw meat and never takes them for walk - just to make you imagine the situation in our country :) Sometimes it's better to stick with "foreign advices" :))
I agree a bigger mobile kennel would be better.

The best thing to do is take your little one to a shop once you have it and purchase by measuring. Every corgi tends to be different as you can read in our corgi sizes thread http://www.mycorgi.com/forum/topic/show?id=1150197%3ATopic%3A24744

Raw meat is also a discussion we've had but that is def. the decision of the owner :) The only caution I have is def. wait to start buying your little ones adult thing. Its frustrating to buy some things or do things because paperwork tells you to and then find out its wrong. I followed some food advice that turned out to be wrong and after my first dog (not a corgi) I learned to do things as they go to 1. safe time 2. save money by not having to go back and rebuy things.

Goodluck with your new little one and keep us updated! :)

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service