We got Winnie two weeks ago and are trying to figure out what to feed her. There are so many options and then there are the two big camps of dry kibble vs raw food. we just aren't sure what to do. any ideas? comments? rants?

Thanks!

ps we are feeding her right now :D a dry kibble based on chicken and chicken meal

Views: 936

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sawdust ? GROSS ! Thank you for the link :) i am planning on using the" Barking at the moon " from Solid Gold when Brynn gets older .
I hear a lot about grain allergies in dogs, so you might look for kibble without grains. The stuff we use is sweet potato/whitefish. We may reduce or eliminate kibble; we've fed raw meat only previously.
eww to the saw dust. We've been using one of the sold gold treats for winnie she LOVES them. Thanks for the link!!
For information on the raw diet try the raw feeding yahoo group.
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/

It took me awhile - but I've changed over to raw. There are lots of reasons but the main one is the pure joy I see on the pups faces when they tear into dindin. They woofed their kibble but a big fat meaty bone or a hunk of chicken- that's a winner which can't be beat. I actually find it easier to prep than kibble. You take a hunk of meat out of the freezer- let it thaw for a day- wack it into a smaller size and hand it off. Pretty darn simple.

They love it. I'm doing less poop clean up. The cost is about the same (there's a local source for organic meats here) as premium all natural kibble. No dental cleanings (the bones do the trick). For treats I dehydrate chicken breasts. The doggie store was selling 21 oz of chicken breasts (made in China) for $23. Home made costs a lot less and I know it's actually chicken.

Ziska
Dehydrated chicken (or beef) sounds like a great idea for treats. Do you use a food dehydrator or oven? I've been boiling chicken, then dicing it up and freezing little packets for training treats. Dehydrating sounds more convenient and less messy.

Reading ingredient labels on packaged manufactured treats can be pretty discouraging. Lots of sugar, soy, wheat, corn and artificial colorings. I feel better giving Charlie home made treats.
I slice up raw chicken breast as thin as I can and use a dehydrator.

http://ziskac.blogspot.com/search/label/doggie%20diet

(FYI I'm not doing canned sardines anymore- just raw- it's too hard finding out what they've done to the poor sardine).
i feed louis Prefomatrin Ultra Chicken and brown rice, It's made louis have such a nice coat , and it's all natural i think. Recommended by the ppl at the petstore, I really trust it
I support raw food all the way. I found this local lady who makes special raw food for dogs and cats. She's been feeding her dogs for the last 17yrs. She mixed meat, veggie, some apple cider vinegar, bok choy, and kulp. It looks really healthy. It almost looks like the filling you can make for a won ton or dumpling. lol...I've also started feeding my pup boiled chicken liver. He seems to like it alot.

I think raw food is the way to go. Imagine if you were a dog, would you want to eat dried up food? It's like chewing on wax paper.

Oh and some vets are against raw food because when they were studying at school guess who is behind those courses that tells them there is so much nuitrients in the dry food...that's right! Some corporation that makes dry dog food.
I switched my 5yr old Corgi to the BARF diet about 6 months ago and it has been fabulous. Immediately his coat was much softer, his teeth are looking great (no tartar) , his weight is perfect, his stool is consistant and he is full of energy as always. I must admit it is expensive to maintain and high-maintenance but well worth the rewards.
we gave winnie raw food last night and man did she love it.... I think we will do half and half or raw every other day... that way she still likes and eats dry (sometimes that is easier). we used the natures varitey organic chicken and literally each medalian was gone as soon as it hit the bowl
dear winnie's parents,

i have a very picky little female..liz finally has found dry food she loves...beneful from purina

(original or healthy weight

i have noticed her coat is improving alot...good luck, janet
Raw

It beat out all the holistic 5 star dog foods I ever fed my dogs (Canidae, chicken soup ect)

and its easy.

Don't bother with veggies or vitamens, there expensive, make things harder then they need to be, and unessasary.

here is a great simple article about how easy it is to feed raw. http://www.rawlearning.com/rawfaq.html

Plus you wont have to go through problems like, dog smell, doggie breath, stinky poop and urine, PLAQUE. All these are gone with raw. (well this was my experiance, in 1 week my dogs plaque was gone)

My corgis love chicken leg quarters and raw eggs.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service