I heard someone once say something about pet stores support puppy mills. And how purchasing a puppy from a pet store perpetuates the practice of breeding dogs for profit and supports puppy mills. And that these puppies come complete with papers, pedigrees and (sometimes forged) health certificates. And if I'm not mistaken, puppy mills are irresponsible breeders that massively breed puppies and sell them for a profit?? What is the difference between them and breeders?? If you dont get a puppy from a breeder or a pet store, then where do you get them??

And what happens to the puppies at the pet store, if they're not bought, and they get too big to be in the store?? Do they get sent back to the breeder, and what will the breeder do to them? Are they put to sleep?

This topic really saddens me, and gets me really anxious to find out what exactly is going to happen to these poor animals.

Does anyone have any insight?

Views: 307

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would rather buy a puppy from a breeder then from a petstore. But before that... I would rather ADOPT or RESCUE and animal before going to a breeder...

I think that should be the layering.. rescue, adopt, breeder. NO petstore.

The reason Im ok with breeders (and some people are not) is you personally go out to the persons house and can sneak and look around at the condition the animals are living in. Some breeders and truely nice, loving people who have a good business of not overbreeding their family pet.. but ensuring that the breed is continueing through a safe and wonderful way.
Yes there are horrible breeders out there but where do you think all these animals come from in the first place? Anyone who takes their pet and breeds it.. is a breeder.

You can also choose to not buy from a breeder due to horrible conditions and either 1. report them to animal control or 2. let them know why and just leave, report them to the humane society or some other rescue shelter.

The only time I will buy from a breeder is when the house is clean.. the animals look happy.. the puppies are happy (not in a dirty pile in the corner of the cold basement) and the documents look real (you can always go to the AKC website or ask for information). Also look to see if they have a contract asking for the dog to be returned instead of sold outward. This means the breeder really cares. Instead of their puppies being sent out into the world, they want to make sure the animals return to them.

to touch on the notsohappy subject. Yes some breeders also put down the animals if they get too old but allot of them put them up for adoption or just keep dropping the price until someone buys them as they get older. Never be scared to ask the breeder what happens to the pups. Visiting the home also gives you a sense of it.. usually when someone walks into a house or up to a house you get those gut feelings of "this is a nice place" or "this is a horrible living space" which is rude.. but.. honest.

Puppymills.... cram animals into small cages for their whole lives and breed them till they die... throwing out the defect puppies or auctioning them off to other breeders... mostly starter breeders who want a puppymill of their own. I see it as a difference between a sweatshop and a small town store... where would you rather shop? and who's employees are the happiest and healthiest?
Getting from a pet store can be a good or a bad thing, depending on how you look at it.

I think that most breeders who sell their puppies to pet stores are not in the puppy's best interest. Many times, the breeders force the mother's to have too many litters too quickly, or force premature birth of puppies so that they can get them to the pet stores faster. (My mother, a vet's assistant dealt with these people and turned them in.) Keep in mind that these dogs who get older too have to have more intensive training; they use their home as their potty after all.

But because these puppies have life the sad way, is it not rescue to get them out of the small boxes of pet stores?? (The price is much higher however...)

Breeders who you can visit are the best bet. They want to meet you, and they want you to see how well kept their animals are. These people want to spread the love that is the breed and are more often good people. It's always always the best idea to go directly to the breeder's home and see the living conditions of the puppies, and any other dogs on the premises. Are the puppies being kept in a good environment and are lively and happy? Are the adults good behaviored dogs?

You are more likely to get an intelligent, happy, and healthy puppy from a breeder who you have come in contact with directly, in my opinion.
Hmmm... everytime I walk pass a puppy store in the mall breaks my heart, Silvia and I want to "SAVE" them so much. I see a lot of corgis are not up to "standard" in the pet store, for example, their eyes colors don't match, their ears are not quite right...etc. It breaks my heart because I know i cannot support such business, but that the same time i wish to provide them with a good home.

I did a search on youtube and looked at a few puppymills and their living condition is sooo bad that i can't even finish watching the video. muddy floor and their whole purpose was the make a buck.

There are also backyard breeders out there, where they have several different breeds in the same house.

From my experience, a REAL breeder is someone who truly cares for their breed, someone who will take back their dogs no matter how old they become, someone is honest and disclose health information, family history...etc.

I'm sure other breeders in our group can give you more input.
Primarily the pups you see at pet shops are bred by high volume breeders. They are referred to as "puppy mills" because of the high numbers of production, the lack of normal in home care, lack of socialization and exposures and that their sole purpose is to reproduce and make money. I encourage anyone that asks my advice to avoid purchasing a dog in this fashion. While many feel sorry for the puppy in the window each time one is purchased another will soon take its place. This perpetuates the desire for the breeds that sell. Being involved in corgi rescue shows me that many dogs that come through our program were impulse purchases of the cute puppy in the window. No knowledge of the breed and no support for the person that purchased. They just need the money to take that pup home, no other requirements. I for one do not patronize any shop that sells dogs or cats. As to what happens to them well you can bet no breeder of this type of dog will take them back. Most do get sold at reduced prices as they age. Pet shop dogs can make great pets but sadly many have lots of obstacles to overcome due to their breeding and severe lack of socialization.
This really saddens me.
I thought maybe it would be the small, independently owned pet shops that would support such a thing.
Now after reading all these replies, I fear that maybe larger pet stores, such as Petco, Petsmart, or Petland may even do that.
I recently bought a puppy from Petland. Though its not a small pet shop like the first one, where I got my first dog at... I now fear it may be so. I was skeptical, but I really fell in love with the Corgi there (now named Faye), and I've been wanting to get Bonni a playmate for a long time now. I bought her, but with alot of skeptism. I really really hope that they are not from an irresponsible breeder. They DID say that their breeders are USDA certified (?)
In any case, you are right. It may be done in larger volumes, so there is less one on one with the puppies.
-- I was surprised to find out.. the next day, when I went back for some paperwork clarification.. that the other Corgi that was in the same pen as Faye the one I bought, was put on sale!!
They said that they didnt want her to be in there by herself , and they were not going to sell anymore Corgis bc they are difficult to sell.

You mention that these puppies may have many obstacles to overcome.
This worries me.
What kind of obstacles???
You are providing a sweet little creature with a great home...that's all that matters. Those large companies are going to run these businesses no matter what. There is never any guarantee with any animal you get...Any situation can pop up with any animal....no matter where it comes from. Just make the best ot it!
and don't kick yourself about it either :) I know allot of people who surprisingly don't know about this. Like Maggie said, your providing a home for a pup who needed it :)
I have to jump in on this one. If you purchase a puppy from a "pet store" you can just about guarantee that they are puppy mill dogs. But...as a PetSmart Pet Trainer, I can tell you we never have puppy mill dogs. PetSmart's policy is to support local rescue agencies. Any dogs you find in a PetSmart store will be from the local Human Society, Shelter or Rescue. We provide space to those agencies. We also, in stores which do not have allocated cages, open our doors on the weekends to local agencies to bring their dogs and cats to our stores. All adoptions are done through those agencies and not PetSmart.

As for breeders, if they are reputable, they will have 1-2 litters per year per breeding pair. All puppies will be raised "under foot." And you will have access to both parent dogs. They will provide you will all of the appropriate paperwork, including vet info. They will have no qualms about you asking for references.

Backyard breeders will have dozens of animals in cages and breed without regard to quality or temperament. See them all the time.
Everyone has given you good reasons why to buy from a breeder or rescue only. But if you'd rather see why for yourself, go to youtube and search puppy mill.

Remember: The reason for a puppy's existence should not be profit alone.
I just watched Charlize Theron video on puppy mills and Im horrified. My sweet Lola was a victim of that abuse. Im so glad she was rescued and I can give her the loving home she deserves. She had 5 litters of pups and she is only 20 lbs. She was very ill when Pets Second Chance received her. Thanks so much to Corgi Aid for helping her recover and of course Linda who brought Lola ino my life.
Here's the Link to the Charlize Theron Video on puppy mills for those who have not seen it.
If you don't like puppy mills, don't buy pets from pet stores.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service