hi all!! my family just got a 3 month old corgi 2 days ago, she is amazing and we love her so much! but, we have noticed that she isnt eating her food.. she may take 2-3 pieces of dog food but then thats it. she is drinking a lot of water so i was just wondering if anybody has any suggestions as to what may be happening and if there are any solutions! i may just be freaking out a bit too much but im just concerned, i didnt know if this is normal for puppies who are new to a home to take a while to adjust? anyways, any comments are appreciated!! :)

Views: 314

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow! Thank you all so much for the feedback, its definently eased my concerns a bit. Today we tried feeding her little pieces of her dog food out of our hands over her dog bowl and she ate that, and shes been eating a bit more but still not too much but it is okay. I think the next step will be the chicken broth/warm water or wet food + dry food but we'll see how she does in the next few days and then try that! But once again thank you all very much for the input :)
Oh yea we did the warm water thing a little bit as well and gradually put less and less in over time :) I didn't notice who mentioned that but it is def. a great idea!
Keep us update! Let us know how it goes :)
She's adjusting. Our 4 year old, Cricket, came to us a month or so ago and I could only get her to eat that first week by mixing in wet food, which is not something I would generally do. I've switched her to Iams Small & Toy, and she's doing well on it. Keep in mind that Corgis don't eat a lot anyway.
I was wondering if there was an update on how your corgi finally decided to eat.

I've done everything and i think I've just created my own monster. I've added water, then switched when she lost intrest to yogart, cottage cheese, baby food. I've even tried to switch dog food.

She won't eat, she'll only eat a few bits here and there.

I've tried feeding out of my hand.

We've just been to the Vet's and she's picture perfect health.

I'm at my wit's end.

We decided we were just going to leave the food out and she'll eat when she eats. But i feel so bad like i need to force her to eat.

She doesn't seem herself either like she's tired, i guess from not eating. Maybe I should call the Vet.
A week or two ago I saw an episode of "It's Me or the Dog" with trainer Victoria Stilwell on Animal Planet. The dog was very picky and refused to eat. Victoria recommended a very strict schedule of two meals per day and giving the dog 30 minutes each meal. Put the bowl down at 9:00am, pick it up at 9:30am. Put the bowl down at 5:00pm, pick it up at 5:30pm. The dog didn't eat for one day. By the second day the dog was hungry and figured he'd better eat while the food was available. I think that is a much better plan than just leaving food out all the time.
This is the best way to get a dog to eat if they are a "picky" eater. If your dog is playing with the food, they are probably getting too much either in the way of treats or food. Pandora started doing this around 9 months. I would give her food and then take it away after about 20 minutes. She quickly learned to eat when it was given to her. She is now 4 and hasn't been picky about food in about 3 years 2 months.
Eowyn has been like that since the day we got her. She won't eat dry biscuits or wet dog food. She only wants to play with the biscuits like throw them into the air and run around. So we buy her white fish and cook it up, then mix it in with the biscuits and she seems to like it very much! I hope your corgi pup eats soon,
That's really funny because Mochi does the same thing! She will play with her buscuits but eventualy she'll eat them.

I called the vet and explained to her the situation and she thought she had sand obstuctions because we went to the beach. But she's had normal bowel movements.

I guess i will just monitor her.

I don't want to add anything to the kibble, because we need to board her in 2 months and i just dont' want her to be soo diffcult!!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service