I have the hardest time with Jodi and weight. When we first got her she was five years old and a little underweight. Having been passed around a bit in our family she was also VERY insecure. So we did spoil her - I admitt :):) I've just never had a Corgi who would "cry" (whine) for food like this one. They all are food hounds - no doubt about it - but Jodi is just fanatical about it. We're down to 1/2 cup of "diet" food (very expensive, very healthy food) twice a day and one small raw hide "stick" along with maybe two small cookies a day. She does get taken for walks most every day - but I cannot get the weight off her. Any ideas? I can't cut back on her meals - does anyone know how fattening raw hide is for dogs? Other than the weight and some aggression towards other dogs, not all others just some, she is a very happy, well loved Corgi.

Views: 953

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

any other exercise besides the walks you do? I know we only spend about 30 min to an hour playing frisbbee with our pup and she's still looking great. She runs nearly that whole time playing fetch and if she stops playing we walk her around the field.. keeping her moving.

Afterwards the rest of the day or evening she is zonked out lol (still playful so no worries :)

We did about two to three days a week depending on work scheds.
Unfortunatly she's not a ball or frizbee dog (darnit) but she and my husband "wrestle" at least once a day for 15 - 20 minutes. She's running and jumping and moving the entire time. I think I'll just have to go for longer more vigorous walks. Thanks for the reply :)
no problem :) I wish I was more help.
Roslyn LOVES cat toys as well. I can get her through an entire agility course without her realizing it because she is so focused on chasing this $2 bouncing ball with feather on the end of a stick!
The green bean diet works plus find a dog food that is grain free. After we switched Toby to this the weight started coming off. The green beans provide filler and he gets 1/4 cup Evo grain free lo-cal dry food , 1/4 cup green beans, plus some yougurt and beef broth twice a day. He was 38 lbs when we got him in March. Until we switched to grain free food the weight come off slowly. He lost 3lbs in 6 weeks. He is down to 33.7 lbs now and he is sooooooo spunky. We keep Lola on a similar regimen so she wont gain too much weight.
I can't wait to try this with Addie! We have already cut her back to 1/2 cup of dry food twice a day. She has gone from 46 pounds to around 42 over the last few months, but I really want to kick her diet into high gear. Is there such a thing as a "big-boned" Corgi? She just seems so much taller than other corgis I've seen. I know she needs to lose weight, but I'm not really sure if 28 pounds is her ideal weight.
Mine is only one, but she only gets 1/2 up of dry food daily (sometimes split up, sometimes all at once) and she neither gains nor loses weight. Then again, she does get bits of this or that and a kong toy stuffed with liver treats daily too.
I think that a grainfree diet makes sense too.
I think the gauge is, if you can feel their ribs but not see them.
I realize this is a very old post, but I was told my corgi is big boned. He currently weighs 40 pounds and as much as I would like him to lose more weight, his vet told me don't expect it because he is a big boy. He stands at almost 15 inches tall, so he definitely is taller than most corgis. He also receives a 1/2 cup low-fat dry food a day and mixed with green beans as well. This helped him get down to his current weight (thank goodness he loves his green beans). He goes jogging twice a day with me and we play tug-o-war, frisbee and chase during the night, but he continues at the same weight he is at. It is frustrating when people say my corgi is fat, but really, it sounds like he is just a big boy.
Some photos he looks big and some he doesn't but you just can't tell with photos.

My corgi friend has a corgi that's 47lbs but is just as skinny/muscular as Roxi is. He's a bruiser! It really is in all the breeding.. and how they look/act. It's like human bodies. You can be considered overweight by old medical charts that doctors still use.. but most of that could be muscle and you could be slim and pretty with an awesome heart rate and cholesterol level *shrugs* (omg.. im repeating my boyfriends words...). Yet mentally you'll think you're fat because of what a scale says...

This can be said the same for pets. If he is trim, active and has the wineglass shape when you're looking at him from above you should be fine. (well.. the dip inwards I mean right before his back haunches... where his belly should be underneath. No dog should be really wine glass shaped...)

Maybe he was just a monster puppy like Sherman was. The rest of his litter was perfect corgi standard.. but his breeder cracks up whenever my friend brings him over to her place to visit. Though if you look at how corgis used to be (one of the current threads) they were big.

When I started bringing Roxi to BBQs my friends teased me because they thought she was too skinny to be a corgi. (Ive mentioned this before) They would do the round arm motion and do the "Corgis are fat and round like this! Your dog is weird!" It would get me so angry and sad because that means they all mostly met overweight corgs or "barrel dogs".

aahh... my rant is over haha. I hope this helped to make you feel better :)
I would assume that the high sodium canned (human) foods would be just as bad for our dogs as they are for us...especially the canned broth which is basically beef flavored salt water. Do dogs get high blood pressure and fluid retention??hehe..
How does the yogurt and beef broth fit into this diet? How much of each of these do you give your dog every day?
I put my overweight Kirby on the green bean diet about two months ago and he has lost about 5 pounds. I am thrilled with how much this has worked. Kirby once weighed in at the vets at 42 pounds. He was a heavy set corgi when I adopted him, but it didnt help that I was feeding him canned food mixed in with wet food twice a day. I completely cut Kirby off the wet food and replaced that with NO SALT ADDED green beans. I give him half a cup of green beans mixed with 1/4 cup of Canidae twice a day and I have noticed a significant difference, so can everyone around him! Kirby actually has a little waistline now. I still get comments when I walk him like "wow he is a big fluffy guy" or "is that a huge weiner dog"..I just smile and say nope..this is a Corgi..the best dog you can own :)

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service