I have the hardest time with Jodi and weight. When we first got her she was five years old and a little underweight. Having been passed around a bit in our family she was also VERY insecure. So we did spoil her - I admitt :):) I've just never had a Corgi who would "cry" (whine) for food like this one. They all are food hounds - no doubt about it - but Jodi is just fanatical about it. We're down to 1/2 cup of "diet" food (very expensive, very healthy food) twice a day and one small raw hide "stick" along with maybe two small cookies a day. She does get taken for walks most every day - but I cannot get the weight off her. Any ideas? I can't cut back on her meals - does anyone know how fattening raw hide is for dogs? Other than the weight and some aggression towards other dogs, not all others just some, she is a very happy, well loved Corgi.

Views: 953

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes my corgis would like to be 500lb jobs too! Grain-free foods are good Evo, Fromm's Surf & Turf, Wellness Core or Orijen are good-dogs are not grain eaters! Less calorie foods still have grain in them, and dogs cannot digest them and tend to store it as fat-adding real meat to the food (cooked or raw) also helps-adding warm water to the kibble to bulk it up makes them feel as if their getting more-adding veggs/fruit are also good (no onions, grapes or raisins). Feed less of these foods because they are higher in calories, and they are able to digest more of the food-less waste to clean up too. Water should be added to kibble anyway because the food has to be reconsituted before it can be digested, and dry food is hard on the kidneys later on in life. RAW knuckle bones (freeze them for 48 hours before giving them) are great to help the hunger pangs-give for only 10 min. the first time (use a good distraction to get it away from them) so they get used to the bones if they have had them before-NEVER GIVE COOKED BONES.
we moved Roxi to Core after the store started selling it. It took a few days for her to get used to it. I think we didn't mix the old with the new well enough like we did before so it was too quick of a change.
She is a big girl! But I've actually seen bigger-just big round bodie with little legs poking out. We have ours on the same diet except not diet food and they are both doing ok. Still a little pudgy according to the vet but hey, can't expect corgis to be skinny can we? Anyway, they go on a short walk during the day (15min.) and a longer one at night (40min). Maybe Jodi is having a thyroid issue or something like that. You're definately NOT overfeeding her from what you've said. Anyway, I just saw this post was really old. By now I hope she's lost some weight. Excercize is probably tough since she's carrying all that weight but i hope it went well for you. Let me know-I'm curious how it turned out.
go a 1/2 of food A DAY

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service