Is there a reason (well besides breeding of course) that I've seen so many different fur types in corgis?

I've seen extremely short haired... to extremely long haired, almost gold retriever long haired.. you know.. the real wavy you could comb hair?

Was just wondering why that is. Is it winter fur vs. summer fur? Age? etc?

Views: 11466

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Do breeders ever test for Fluffy because they DO want Fluffy carrier offspring? Do Fluffy carriers have more luxuriant coats than Fluffy clears(in other words, is Fluffy incompletely recessive)? Even if breeders never breed affected fluffies, they could still be selecting for this gene if it produces superior coats in carriers.
I noticed that two of the litters I've seen had about 1/4 fluffies (Mendelian 1:3 ratio), so dam and sire were both carriers. In such litters, do you actually see a 1:2:1 ratio -- 1/4 fluffies, 1/2 normal but noticeably thicker/nicer/softer, and 1/4 flatter-coated?
Well no, it isn't weather, it's breeding. A well bred Corgi will have an under coat and an outer coat. They should not be slick coated. Slick coated dogs are a product of poor breeding, usually puppymills and back yard breeders. They is a gene that produces a "fluffy". This is a Corgi with a long coat. This gene can rear it's head no matter how good the breeding. To see well bred Corgis, to include mis-marks, fluffy's, etc. go to the National site, www.pwcca.org

I get a lot of slick coated Corgis into rescue. But then I'm in Missouri, the puppymill state. Slick coated, long of leg, tiny heads are the product of bad breeders. Visit the PWCCA site. There is lots of information.

Linda Moore
I checked it out but I couldn't find any link that showed me pictures of the different types.. Im sorry :( Could you explain where to go on the site?
You bet. Here is the link. Personally I LOVE the fluffy's. What do you think?
http://www.pwcca.org/CorgiColor.html

What does a slick coat look like? 

Actually some of the most lovely fluffs are bred by the "purists" you speak of. Not that they dont like them but they are not suitable for the show ring or breeding program. I have many well respected breeder friends that have produced lovely fluffs. Sure, they wont go on to the show ring but they spend just as much time finding the best home possible for their fluffy pups. Me, my heart is set on a fluff for my next dog and the sire is one of the top producing dogs in our country. His owner is keeping her eye open for the perfect fluffer pup for me.
Actually what you have is a Basenji mix. Could be mixed with terrier, or anything else. Note the narrow head, light eyes (although some Corgis do have light, even blue eyes), longer thin legs. Check out the Basenji websites. Basenji's have a curled over their back tight tail, but the longer tail is probably from the other parent. Not sure why they told you the cute little one was a Corgi mix, but someone had no idea what a Corgi is, and probably never heard of a Basenji. Most shelters take any help that they can get, and few know their breeds.
Who are you replying to about that? I looked up Basenji's and they look alot taller then anyones pups I've seen on here.

Its interesting to see how similar they look except the long legs and the curly tail hehe :) Thanks for mentioning them!
Interesting thing about this forum...if you delete your profile, all of your posts go away too. There was a new member who posted lots of photos of his dog today (which he believed was a terrier/corgi mix). Linda was replying to him. He deleted his membership...so now Linda's reply doesn't appear to make sense. It did make sense at the time she posted. That was a cute dog too...whatever breed mix it was! LOL
Ohhhhhhh Ok :) I didn't mean for my post to be read as a mean/angry reply. It was a real question because I just didn't see who it was to lol

Awww I wish I got to see it now :(

Sorry if it sounded like a mean reply!
No you didn't sound mean in the least! That was a cute dog. And there really was a post with a picture of a mixed breed dog on this thread earlier. The same guy also asked a question on the dog walking thread today. I answered it, but now that question is gone too...so it just looks like I am rambling on about dog walking...like talking to myself. LOL It's just a funny quirk about the way this forum works.
I have two with the same mom but different dads and they look sooooo different. Ein has short fur and Daisy has long fluffy more typical of corgi type fur. I thought his short hair was because we're in Texas and it's so darn hot here then we got her with all the fur and I'm not so sure about that now since she's also a Texas corgi. I'm going to assume it's genetics.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service