I am curious. When you got your tri- Corgi as a puppy did it have a red face or a black face and did it change as they matured? Lizzies face had the same markings as a puppy as she has now. I know they often change. Brodie has a black face now, but I'm not so sure it will stay. What has been your experience?

Views: 1448

Replies to This Discussion

When I got Alucard as a puppy, he had the same markings as he has now. The only difference between how he looked as a puppy and how he looks now is that when he was a puppy, he had a heart on his butt! Now it's gone though... Anyway, he still has the black mask!

Maya is now 5 months and I have noticed that the hair by her nose has turn mostly red. She used to have more black and white hair. I really love the current markings she has now and hopes it doesn't change much as she ages.
ANYONE THAT EXPERIENCED THE COLOR CHANGE REMEMBER HOW OLD THE PUPPY WAS? WAS IT SUDDEN OR DID YOU NOTICE IT GRADUALLY OCCURING?
Winnie always had a black face and tan eyebrows (expressive ones at that!)
PWCCA coat color article
Interesting article on PWC coat color genetics. It says there are several alleles (variants) of the main coat color locus (gene):
red, dominant
tri, recessive
blackheaded tri, recessive to tri (so you need two of this allele to be a BHT)
sable is allegedly an incompletely dominant form of red, so if a dog has one sable gene and one tri gene, some of the black comes through and you get a sable coat.
I think I've got that straight, not sure.

Sparty always had a black face but he is ten now and has started to grey a little which freaks me out! I still call him "my baby boy"

Wow...I started this discussion a long time ago and to provide you with an update Little Brodie has remained a black faced tri. The white blaze has narrowed, but it is still there. He has freckles in the white on his muzzle that make him look perpetually like a pre teen. So fun to watch them grow. Bridie has a little heart butt too!
Brodie is adorable! Sparty looks like he sat on a stick of butter so I call him "Butter Butt".
Rhys is turning more and more red faced. His ears are red on the inside with no black tips, so that usually means they'll be red faced as they get older. If they have black tips they'll have a black mask like a racoon. :D
After my pem's breeder flipped up a puppy's ear and said "this will be a red head", I read up on the tri coloring. From all that I've read, if the inside ear tips have a black triangle, the puppy will stay black headed. If the inside tip is red/tan then no matter how much black is on the face as a puppy, the dog will eventually turn red headed. I don't know what determines how much red will show up or how much black will fade out. I've also seen photos of puppies that had really wide white stripes and as adults the stripes are really narrow. The tan gradually grows wider and darker.
My BHT was born in Feb 09 and had a black spot in the stripe at the top of her head (one thing we really loved) The spot has slowly lost the white around it and is almost swallowed up by the black.She does seem to have a bit of red showing on the back of her ears which the breeder said will go away. She didn't have much tan around one eye or legs when we got her, now she has more under the eye and along the back legs. Think of them as a work in progress :)
Caleb had a much crisper difference in his colors as a young puppy, he's gotten more red on his head between his ears but hasn't changed so so much.
Mine are the same:)
Kristen

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service