Well, there are only 16 days (and counting) left until we bring our new puppy home! This will be our second corgi, and I am wondering how to go about introducing him to our 1 1/2 year old corgi, Gus. Gus is well-socialized and has never shown any aggression to smaller dogs, even in our home, so I am hoping that they will get along. However, I would really appreciate any suggestions for introducing them. Would you suggest in our home, in the yard, or on completely neutral territory?

Views: 189

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't have any suggestions since I'm getting my FIRST ever corgi in 17 days and counting, but you must be really excited!!!!!!!!! Congrats on the new addition.. =P What type will the new one be?
He is a red & white pem. We can't wait!
yay! me too! except he does have a little black fur cause his mommy was a tri. =P I can't wait either!!!!!!!!
Yes I am aware a Tri can have a red/white puppy - as the rest of his siblings came out jet black and are tris (and his father his a red/white). Only he and one of his brothers came out non-jet black - but if you take a look at his body - you can tell that he is darker than red/white puppies that come from red/white mother and fathers. If what you're saying it true, then that's great, but from looking at pictures on this website - I see many red/white puppies turn out to develop black markings at a later age (which is what I am suggesting may happen to my puppy).
I agree, it will be interesting to see how my pup turns out then! =) Thanks for the information.
Interesting discussion here. I started a discussion in the tri-color Corgi group about puppy color vs adult color. I'd be interested in your comments.;o)
We have gone through this three times in the last five years. We have always done it in the house, although someone may have a different suggestion. The dogs are most attached to me so when we brought the new puppy home. I went in first to lavish the others with attention and when they clam down i have someone else bring the puppy in. It makes it so much easier that Gus is well socialized. It is important to be in control of both dogs when they first meet. I would hold on the the existing family member and let someone else bring the puppy to them--holding them. Then we put the puppy down--still controlling the ohter dog (s) A lot of sniffing will result and praising interaction is important. The sniffing may seem quite rude, but it is the way they gather information about each other! It is very important to monitor their interaction for a few days. Make sure that they are fed separately. Even a well socialized dog will become somewhat territorial especially with the food bowl---once they know each others boundaries less and less monitoring will be necessary. It is likely that you will see them being somewhat territorial with their people. Fergie would hop in my lap to show the new puppy that I belonged to her and she would actually try to herd the puppy away from me. Fergie also stole toys from the puppy. She still does. One time she had three toys in her mouth...now she adores the puppy and considers him hers. They play well together, although Fergie sometimes plays a bit rough. Lizzie takes a little longer to warm up. She actually prefers bigger dogs. Good luck! I am so excited for you! In the long run I think it is nice to have more than one in the house. Never alone.
What has always worked well for me is to let them see each other but not have full exposure. I use an x-pen or crate that is in a common area for the newcomer to get used to smells, sounds and let our resident dogs get used to them. I usually like to introduce them in the yard where they can choose to have space away from each other. Good supervision is the key. Dont be surprised if your adult dog growls and grumbles. This is the way dogs communicate and some adults do a great job of teaching the youngsters the proper rules. If your current dog is well socialized you will probably do just fine. Keep in mind that food and treasured treats should always be fed separate. This can be a problem for many corgis. Remember too to give each some alone time with you. Once your pup starts walking on lead taking both for walks will help them greatly enjoy time together.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service