What is the proper way to train a pem to go off leash. Thank you

My Pems Ted & Leo, my males, love our fenced in yard & running their perfect figure eights, I like to train them to off-Leash a bit. Lizzie, my female, is so well behaved on a leash and I would really like to try off-leash. What are some of your ideas? When my tribe occasionally break out of the yard. Ted's the first to return home when called, same with Liz. Leo is very adventurous and seems to be on his own mission.

I was told by my original breeder..not to go off leash....any hints would be welcomed

Views: 110

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

One day I just let my little Lola off the leash at the beach, I was nervous she wouldn't come back so I had some treats and her favorite toy. She never really got too far but when she did I called her and when she came she got a treat. She can get easily distracted so to keep her attention on me bring the toy.

In our summer house in New Hampshire she is always off leash. At first to teach her where she could go she had a really long leash that stopped at all the boundaries. I don't know if this will help, I don't think I could keep all 3 corgi's together!! Good luck :-)
well i too have three corgis too. one goes off leash well. but the other too are still puppies. first teach them heel. so they know it well. when they can walk next to you on a loose leash then you can drop the leash(have it still connected just not in your hand) once they get that then you can take off the leash but your pups should know the basics comands, sit, down, come, stay...good luck
Sadly there is no good practice place if you are near roadways. I have to say that the dogs that accompanied me to care for my horses were all quite "honest" off lead. This didnt come without lots of practice and repetitions. So hard to find "safe" places to work. Make sure you really "proof" your come command.
Make sure they know the "stay" command also. My two go off leash a lot, but they know, stop, heel, and stay. Yes, make sure they are not near any road when you practice. I taught them stay, and had my daughters run away from them. They always need to be near them, so when they stayed 100%, I felt most comfortable having them off leash.
If you are anywhere near a road, don't take any chances unless you are 100% sure that your corgi will come when called. I have owned many mixed breed dogs over the years that were fine off-leash, but corgis were bred to herd and you always have to keep that in mind. Make sure you train them to come to you in many different (safe) locations. They may obey all the time at home, but maybe not as well at a different location. If you have any doubts...don't take the chance.
Thx Franciine,

Nice of you to comment--I think, I am going to forget off leash, all together...My 3 corgis are well-behaved, but all to adventurous!!

Janet Frisk
I can't think of too many places where I would be comfortable having Charlie off leash since he's a "city dog". Too many cars, and dogs without any owner in sight, squirrels, bicyclers, joggers, etc. I do take him to totally fenced in off-leash parks where he has proven that he won't come on command, so until he will come to me at a fenced in park, I'm not trying it anywhere else except the fenced yard where he does come reliably. We hope to get into agility, so having him reliable is mandatory.
Sadie does really well off lead. My husband said he trained her with cheese... (LOL) If not for the leash laws in our area, I would trust her to do a full walk down the side walk of a busy street and have no fear she would run into traffic or away from me.

I'd suggest doing the intermediary step of one of those "loose lead" leashes with a lock button. They will go about 14 ft or so and lock, or you can lock it as short as you want for "at heal" walks. Just get one that is good for twice the weight of your dog. At a full run, that 25 lbs becomes 50+!

I've been doing the loose lead with Rolo, and though he will probably never be an off lead dog completely... at least til he's neutered... he is at the point where he is learning his range and pretty much sticks to it. He loves the freedom of running around, and I love the idea that he's always under control -- even if he doesn't feel like it. If he starts to bolt, I click the safety and make an obnoxious noise, catching his attention long enough for me to direct him back.

Just a tip. If your dog is running away from you, the best way to catch them isn't always to run after them. Most dogs think that this is a new sort of game. In all honesty, I don't think ANYONE is fast enough to catch a corgi puppy going full tilt!!!

I generally squat down and call mine... or make a sharp noise to catch their attention... and suddenly the "Squattin' momma" is much more interesting than anything they were running at.
We have been letting Brynn off leash at the coast ,and a small park at night that has a fence .The first time i was scared she would run , but she didn't , she stayed with us , maybe 9 feet away at the most . I like that she can run free every so often .I wouldn't try this on the street since she would chase a blowing leaf into incoming traffic :(
last night we let her off and she saw another dog so she barked and ran up to it and when the other dog came over to her she went on her back and cried out .This was the same way she acted at the Corgi meet-up.
We let her and the other dog ( who was big but so sweet and gentle ) get to know each other .Brynn still has a hard time with other dogs .People and cats no problem , but dog are still fairly new to her .She is getting better , after 20 min. she was trying to play with the big dog :)) I'm so happy to see her braking this boundary :))
That's great news Brian! The first time I took Charlie to the dog park, it took him about 20 minutes to relax and meet some dogs. He was very nervous at first. Sounds like Brynn may turn into a little "socialite" afterall. : - )
They're off leash more then they're on- but that's because it's a fenced ranch.... Here are some tried and true techniques.

1. Bribes- especially with corgis bribes work really well. Have a pocket full of treats. Let them run but when you stop walking- who ever get back to you first and sits- gets a goodie- they all learn really quickly.

2. Hide and seek. They're running they're sniffing- they're having fun and they look up and they don't see mom! Panic! You've hidden behind a bush or a tree- be patient let them retrace their root and find you- then give a treat lots of praise and pats!

3. Sit or lie down. They won't come? Sit down or lie down- it's rare for a dog not to come to you when you do this. If that's not working- turn around and walk the other direction.

4. The long clothesline. A long piece of clothes line- I have two- 40' and 100' with a clip on the end attached to their collar- then let 'em go. Don't hold onto the line. Eventually they will forget the line is there - and you can call "come!" when they're distracted and snatch them in on the line. If the line gets tangled- no problem it means they have to wait for mom to untangle.

Never make "come" a negative experience- that should always be fun and praise and treats and wonderful things.

Ziska

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service