When can you let corgis climb stairs???

Also what amount of protein do you recomend for 6 month old puppies?

Views: 923

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ok they seem to be going up and down stairs well now. my stairs are broken into two parts, it goes up, and then has a turn and up again. i would put one in the platform and i would have one on the top (or bottom) they dont like to be seperate so they realized they would have to climb the stairs to be with each other. Trevor is really good nd will slowly go down them (no leaping or anything). Abby however sprints down them. she doesnt leap off them but she does fall right on her face when she gets to the tile. so i have been working wiht wooden steps because she knows she cant sprint down those safely so she is getting better
well little bear is almost a year old and finds it quite fitting to fall up stairs as he has done since birth. so i find that stairs and corgis in all circumstances are completely normal and very entertaining.
I let my corgi climb stairs, but not every time. Maybe 4 out of 10 times. He is 4 months old, and has been doing it since he was 3 months. Downstairs is a different story. He can do it, and he wants to, but i don't let him just quite yet. My breeder informed me that until their growth plates in their front legs 'close' (whatever that means) it's not best to let them go down stairs often and put too much weight on them. So i don't. He said some breeders wait until they are a year old before they freely let them. I, living on a second floor, will not be waiting that long. It would be tough carrying a 30 pound dog up the stairs 6 times a day!!
Jack learned how to climb stairs at three months, and had it mastered in about 3 weeks. He started following his big sister up them to play in our game room. :] We just let him kind of sniff them and wander about until he was comfortable, he's only tumbled down once, but got right back up and kept going! Corgi's are such sturdy things.

As for proteins, ask you vet! I'm sure they can send you in the right direction. ;]
I got Kobi when he was 3 months old, and within a week of me getting him, he was climbing up the stairs to my apartment on the 3rd floor no problem. A week after learning to go up, he learned how to climb down at lightning speed! Especially when he has to pee really bad. haha

We have a non-carpeted spiral staircase that he was scared to death of going up too, but he JUST learned how to run up (to chase the cat of course).. but going down is a problem because of slipping.

:)
Gibson can climb stairs, but can't go down yet..but we like that he can't :) It just means he has limited places where he can go in our house..and it's great when he's on our porch and can't get down the stairs so we don't have to worry about him :)
Same to us. I don't want Charlie hanging out in our bedroom, or even more so in our office (where is too much chewy stuff on the floor :) ). So, I just keep him on the "main floor" for now :)

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service