Hi all and happy easter. I need some input on kennels. Little Max is not so little any more. He turned 5 months old today and is about 18 lbs. The Kennel I have for him right now is getting too small. He can still stand and move around in it but he is getting so long that he can't stretch out very well. He really seems to like his kennel. We are on the road a lot and he is in his kennel during travel time as well as at night. I'm wondering if you all might have some input on what size kennel I should get next based on Corgi size. The other thing is that maybe he won't even want a kennel soon. When did your corgi's start sleeping on a doggy bed rather than in the kennel?

Views: 117

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My girl River looooves her Kennel, and I think she always will. She's over a year and a half old now and she still sleeps in there by choice. I've even tried letting her sleep on the 'big people bed' (much to my husband's dismay!) and she still would rather sleep in her kennel. So who knows, Max might always prefer it. I think some dogs tend to think of that as their den and they just plain feel safe in there.

As for size, River stopped growing at 18 pounds, and her kennel is 2.5 x 3.5 feet I believe. It's huge compared to her! There's plenty of room for her to move around and ruck up her bedding and play. But it's also not so big that it overwhelms her. It's also tall enough for her to get on her haunches in the 'begging' pose, so she doesn't feel boxed in. I've been very glad that we went with the larger size, especially since she uses it so much.
I just recently bought a 30x30 inch kennel that barely fits in my backseat, and it was actually a waste of money because the day after, I showed Wyatt that he could sit by himself and its great, because now he sits in the seat alone, before he would cling to me and want to sit on my lap while i was driving but i couldnt have that cause its dangerous. Hes about 7 months, and as long as I say Wyatt we are going to the park or we are going to see grandma he will sit there and look out the window. I also bought a doggy seat belt which worked out good too, its a little furry harness that you put on him and you loop the seatbelt through it when he sits down. Good luck.
I recently saw on another discussion (I too am looking for a new kennel), that female corgies should have a kennel that is at least 32 inches long. Male corgies may need to be even longer depending on their size. Now, that seems large to me, but maybe it's not. Anyways, that's just what I read on another discussion. Best of luck!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service