I have picked out my puppy who is 4 weeks old right now. The breeder told me this is the mothers 3rd litter and the pups are usually weaned by 6 weeks and idependent. He said that I would be able to take it home then if she was ready but I'm not so sure. I'm thinking it's better for her socially and emotionally if she stays until 8 weeks. What do you think? I would love to take her home as I can't wait to finally have her but I will do what's best for her. Thanks ahead!

Views: 7825

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We actually got Sidney very late in his puppy life, at age 5 months. We have had no behavior problems other than normal teenager exuberance, and he came to us already used to home living, housebroken and partially trained (sit, etc). He's almost a year old now and we love him to bits.
I'm in a situation that my puppy is being released this Friday, which they will be 9 weeks old. I am dying to get her, but with us moving from an apartment to a house we have been trying to pack and all that chaos. My breeder said it will be okay to pick her u the following Friday at 10 weeks. Reese will be joined with a new younger litter of puppies. I'm not sure if her mother would then be around in there. The new young litter's mother may be in there instead. If I really should get her at 9 weeks rather than 10, I would. Just not sure what is best for Reese. I know I posted a discussion earlier and people said to just pick her up at 10 weeks. Just didn't know after reading about being around the mother stuff... Any advice??
I know this is an older post, but I was thinking of asking a similar question. I was curious to know when everyone got to take their pups home. We got Vash just short of 12 weeks. All of the breeders I spoke to (from the PWCCA website) would not let their puppies go before 11 weeks it seems, and most of the literature I've read says 10-12 weeks is optimum. I know I might have missed out on his 'cute lil puppy' weeks (but I can live vicariously through pictures that the breeder gave me!) I feel, however, the more time spent with the experienced breeders and his mum were worth it. Vash was pretty much crate-trained and had started the potty training process when we took him. It's really amazing how a few weeks can make so much of a difference.
Banjo we got at 10 weeks. Fortunately we only had to wait an extra week after we found her, considering how much smaller she was than her littermates. She was always a very healthy pup, it was just a precaution. Starbuck was ready to go at 12 weeks. 10 to 12 weeks seems to be the general consensus for the best puppy development. I've had good luck so far.
Y'know, this is an important topic and could be a good subject for an informed FAQ rant from some experts here. First-time puppy buyers should be armed with this information.
I've heard it said that pups learn bite-inhibition and other socializations if the litter is left together longer. We got Al at about 12 weeks; his ears were up and he was ready for the world, an amazingly well-mannered dog if I do say so myself.
Another clue about breeders: there was no question about us picking out our own pup. The breeder did that. I guess someone who knows what they're doing can do some matchmaking based on their judgement of the family and the pup's personality.
Our breeder picked the pup for us too. We wanted a female, and she said she had one available if we insisted, but based on what we told her about ourselves, she had two laid back males she thought would be a better fit.

She brought out our Jackpot first, and we loved him. We brought him home two years ago and she was right: he's perfect for us.
Just a quick question that is related to the discussion, I'm taking my puppy home at around 20 weeks since I've got to finish school first, is that alright or would it make a difference?
I think it's even better, Ray. We also brought Sidney home at around 20 weeks and he's been awesome. Already housetrained, and he knew how to behave in a home. We have experienced almost zero misbehaviors since bringing him into our home. And bonding with our family was not a problem at all.
I think this depends on the breeder as well. A breeder who just has them out in kennels or ex pens and doesn't work w/them can be more of a problem and harder to work with. They are let to be wild pups w/o being taught what is right and wrong. Not handled often they can be biters and very nippy. I've seen pups at 10 weeks all with their litter mates and they were horrible yappers, nippers, and would really get into some disagreements to the pt. I couldn't handle it and stopped it. Now is this part of the genes or is this behavior taught? They were also horrible about going in designated areas as well and went where they wished. These pups were not being worked with or handled much. So sometimes depending on the dedication of the breeder, it is better to get them before 3 months.
Gwynnie was almost 6 months old when we got her, already housetrained and reading at a 1st-grade level.
Note that our breeder(s) gave the pups lots of handling etc., the litters were inside their homes.
Carrie not only picked Al out for us, she delivered him personally to us (about 12 weeks old) and spent quite awhile observing him in his new home to make sure he seemed OK. A special day.
Here is an article that might be of interest to you and is quite informative. http://wendtworthcorgis.wordpress.com/2008/11/05/emotional-physical...

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service