My husband and I will be moving into our new house soon! The only downfall to the house is that it doesn't have a fenced back yard. We have discussed several fencing options and I'm wondering what your opinion is. Obviously, chain link is the most sturdy and most attractive. However, it is VERY pricy in our area. In addition, I have to do most of the fencing on my own as my husband is starting pilot training and will be very busy. I am a ranch girl and I'm pretty tough but putting up a chain link fence by myself may be a bit challenging. The second option that we discussed is using t-posts and wire mesh (openings of two inches by three inches). Another thing we have to keep in mind is that we will not be at this location for more than two years (more than likely) and it's not practical to take fencing with us. What is your experience/opinion on fencing?

Views: 1431

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My husband and I just moved to the suburbs from the city. We have a backyard that is enclosed by bushes, but there are definitely patches that Oliver would definitely wander past. While we are waiting for a more permanent fencing solution, we purchased some chicken wire, and ran it along the bushes, as a second defense. I'm not sure if you can use this option if you don't really have something to prop the chicken wire up against, but even taking some wooden stakes and using them as guides might work.

I believe 50 feet of chicken wire cost us about $15 or less.

Hope that helps...
Are you renting or buying? If I were renting and the landlord wouldn't absorb most of the cost, I'd probably just consider buying chain link kennel runs that come in 6 ft and 12 ft sections, so you can construct any size run you like. If you're moving in two years, you could sell it on craigslist as it would break down to portable sections.

If you're buying, then whatever constuction you use will add value to your property so you should recover much of the cost when you move in 2 years.

I have a 6 ft tall privacy fence in cedar pickets. When I moved to my property the original (10 yr old) fence was crumbling. I had to have a guy friend help me dig post holes and set new posts, but then I was easily able to hammer up the 2x4 crossposts and the 1x6x6 pickets without help. That was a long time ago, but I remember it costing about $50-$60 per 8 linear feet of materials, and I did the labor. Softer woods (not cedar) are less expensive, but don't last as long.
My issue with chain link is the ease of getting under it as well as the visability to neighbor dogs. Corgis do enjoy a game of run the fence line and bark at neighbors dogs. I opted for a privacy fence and have never been sorry.
chain link may not be the best investment, it is cheap and easy to setup, but it doesn't really add value to the home, it is easy for dogs to climb under.

Plastic white fence is expensive, it looks good and doesn't turn yellow, but everytime after a hurricane blow thru florida, we see bits and pieces everywhere.

shadow box fence is the best for privacy, reasonable priced and easy to put up.

How about those under ground wire radio fence? there is also a wireless version that broadcast the signal according to the radius, they're only a couple of hundred bucks, so I would "rent" one from petstore and return it if it doesn't work out.
Underground wire radio fence does not stop another dog or animal from entering your yard. This could cause your little one to have problems escaping form an attack. I have chain link (it was here when we bought the house). We are planning to put up cedar.
I have never thought about the fact that other animal can access the yard area....great advise! We have a cedar privacy fence and it is great...sturdy enough that they are not digging out etc. We are going to have to replace our cedar fence soon, we manage to get about 9 years out of this one, and we are considering placing rectangular cut outs about eye level for the brats.
Thanks for the advice! Here are my thoughts: we will be renting the housing... in a sense. It is on-base housing at an Air Force base. Electronic fences and privacy fences are not allowed (at least on this base). I have heard bad things about electronic fences anyways. The thing about them is that they may keep your dog in but they do not keep children, other dogs, animals, or children out. One owner said that her dog got so fed up of having his toys stolen that he decided to blow through the fence. Are there any safety concerns with wire fencing (versus chain link)?
Thanks for clarifying! Now that I know you're renting and living on base, it is definitely NOT a good idea to spend the money on fence :) electronic fence only works best if you live in wide open spaces with no neighbors around your for miles. It won't work in your situation at all. What type of wire fencing do you have in mind? Corgis do dig when they're bored, chain link is not a good idea.
We were thinking about putting up wire mesh fencing with metal t-posts. The wire fencing is similar to chain link only it is square grids with openings of two by three inches and is four feet tall. The yard is going to mostly be used in a supervised manner. She would probably not ever be out there long enough to become bored. We have had her at our parents house in chain link fencing and haven't had an issue with digging YET.
The Wire mesh is a good temporary option. You can even cut into the ground and drop the fence below ground so you won't have to worry about the Corgi going under. just use your spade and cut a slice about six inches down and push the bottom of the fence into the slice before you attach to the t-post. It is simple and will leave little or no damage when you pull the fence out. I like this option because the wire mesh can be flexible enough that if the bottom few inches are'nt buried the dog can push under easily and the fencing can bow out at the bottom. You can even buy covers for the T-posts to "pretty" them up, in horse supply stores or catelogs. They also make gate kits for the wire mesh fencing. I think this is the option I am going to use to fence the remainder of the yard around our house at the farm. Our "yard" is fenced on three sides- with old fashioned twisted garden fence. Good luck!
Hi All! I just now joined the site. My almost 10 year old son has been pestering us for a dog for months now and I think we're ready to take the plunge with a Corgi puppy. I have a few concerns, but my biggest (cost-wise) concern has to do with fencing. We don't have a fence.

Our yard is rectangle shaped, with the side yards being the narrow part. The front and back yard are super wide. The front yard sits on a busy road and the back yard ends with a steep hill with a creek at the bottom. We have just under one acre, so the yard is pretty big. There are houses on both sides of us with no animals.

We live right at the edge of a village and sidewalks are everywhere.

So I guess I want to hear from people who have yards without a fence. Do you wish you had a fence? Can you ever let the dog run around off the leash? That sort of thing.

There are sections of yard that could be fenced at some point, but financially speaking, if we could avoid putting in a fence, that would be our preference.
Hi Shelly, we have two corgis without a fence, do we wish to have one, sure we do, but it's still ok without it. we normally don't let our corgis out of leash, unless both me and my husband are dressing up with running shoes and ready to chase them when they are attracted by something else.
If you can walk the dog regualarly and there is dog part nearby, I would think you can work it out.

One good I can think about without fence, my dog Lorenzo likes to eat poop, at least he won't get them when we are with them on the leash.lol,

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service