I was just wondering if anyone has any Nylabone horror stories to share (since I saw it mentioned a few times on the rawhide discussion that's going on right now). Are those generally good chew toys for Corgis? Theo isn't a fan of the kong toys (I have a puppy kong, which he won't go near unless there's food inside, and I have a kong frisbee that has never interested him).

Obviously I would need to watch him, but do chunks tend to break off the nylabones? Are they pretty sturdy? How long do they last for people? What kind do you get?

Views: 49

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There are "flexible" Nylabones which I don't give Charlie. I bought him one, but he was too tough and chewing chunks off, so I took it away. He does do well with the Nylabones for "extra hard chewers"...the one's that aren't flexible. Charlie has not been able to break one. The nubby ends get chewed and raise little rough edges that help brush the teeth. Some dogs can probably break either one, so you want to supervise any new toy or chew. I have heard of dogs breaking a tooth on them, but they seem to work well for us.
the Edible large ones only last my dogs 20 minutes max
the Non-edible ones used to be my dogs favorite when they were young ,they're quite tough, but not as tough as kong, some bits did get chewed off, but it's been 5 years.
We don't do the edible ones... they are really just expensive treats becsause they are gone in under 60 seconds. I give Emmy the ones for the hardest chewers, she has an off white colored one and a brown one (I forget the flavors... original anc chicken maybe?) In any case we do really well with them. They are pretty much the only thing she cannot destroy and they last forever. The ends get worn down, but I have never had a problem with anything breaking off and Emmy is a REALLY strong chewer.
My sister's dachshund had the non-edible hard ones for about 2 years, she loved to chew on them, so much so that she ended up breaking a tooth on one of them. It was one of her back molars and the tooth ended up wedged in the roof of her mouth. She had to have emergency surgery to get the tooth out, so basically A LOT of vet bills unfortunately. The vet ended up recommending kongs for her to chew on because he said nylabones aren't the best option. But that's probably not a story heard often about nylabones, just thought I'd share that one!
Thanks! I was looking for horror stories, and that's definitely one! Poor thing. :(

Theo only seems to like his kong when there's food in it. Hehe. Maybe I'll try getting the bone-shaped one.
We just got our corgi puppy, Cruise, about 3 weeks ago when he was12 weeks old. I gave hiom the nylabone puppy bone and he loved it...unfortunately after turning my back for about 15 minutes while he chewed he ended up eating the whole entire end of it. For several days after his stoll was filled with chunks of nylabone. If your corgi is a storng chewer i would not recommend the puppy one. Cruise loves rawhide chews...they are okay as long as i do not allow them to get too small

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service