Okay, I'm not trying to be a party pooper here, but this is a serious question and I think it will be a good thread for some of us when that day comes. Could someone share their experience with us?

1. What are your options when it comes to burial? pet cemetery? backyard? Is there even a casket?

2. Is cremation even possible?

3. Is there a death certificate? Do you need to report anything to you local government? Anything else that we need to know about that you would like to share?

Thank you and I really appreciate your input in advance.

Views: 400

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here are some answers:
1) Some areas have pet cemeteries, backyard burials are "legal" in the country but not in the city (though in the small animal practices I've worked in we're adopted a don't ask, don't tell philosophy), I would imagine you could find a casket somewhere, but when we knew we were going to put our lab down my grandpa actually made her a wooden one.

2) Cremation is a definite possibility. Private cremations are more expensive, and you can choose different options for the urn. This is actually a pretty common choice in the practices I've worked in.

3) No need to report anything to the local government. I can't really think of much more to say. It'll be a very hard decision, but think of it as your last kindness to your dog, that seems to help at least a little bit.
We had to put Malcolm (16 yr old male cardigan) about 4 years ago.
1. We dug a grave in out back yard and we were about to get a casket...you can buy them however they are usually styrofoam or somthing like that(they are not very pretty) but when we actually euthanized him (he was old, blind, deaf, and crippled, and we were going away for 10 day)...
2. we decided to privatly cremate him. now his eurn is in my parents room with his collar hung over it.
3. but i dont think we reported anything...maybe the vet did...im not sure :-?
When our sweetie Max passed away two years ago, we chose to have him cremated, and approx two weeks later, our vet called to tell us that his ashes were ready for us to pick up. There was no notification to authorities or certificate involved here in FLA. Our vet also had the ashes in a beautiful maroon velvet bag as well as a copy of the "rainbow bridge" poem: http://rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm. We have a special area in our library with a picture of Max, his velvet bag (not necessarily a shrine - just that he was a part of our family, and as we move so much I couldn't see burying him and leaving him behind. At some point, that should happen.
I want to have Toby and Lola cremated and their urns placed in our graves with Bob and I
Locally in Southern California, I used a company called "Ashes to Ashes" that works with vet offices - they will cremate the dog and send you its ashes for burial. I still have my old corgi's ashes.
1. Burial can be risky depending on where you are. We have grizzlies and other scavengers that we had to worry about when we buried our labrador. If you want to bury, and you have the proper place to do it (water tables are important to keep in mind), make sure you bury your precious one very deep. I can't imagine finding a burial dug up :(

2. Cremation is definetly possible. There are two options: private cremation and group cremation. Private cremation is more expensive. Some places don't do private cremation. Be sure to ask which type the company does and specify which one you prefer. Some places will make beautiful glass beads out of the ashes from your animal. We have a beaded strand with a crystal that hangs in our window. I have seen some attractive urns available through companies such as Petsmart.

3. There isn't a death certificate per say. However, if you have registered your dog with the city/state it is helpful to report the death to that agency. This helps them with record keeping, statistics, and helps reduce operation costs (and therefore registration costs).
Some pet cemetaries are very reputable, others have been accused of serious rip-offs. A back yard could be a problem .What if you have to move? There are caskets available.
Cremation is a real alternative. We actually have two crematoriums locally just for pets. One is in a "people" funeral home and will help you plan a funeral for your companion if you wish. Check around.
There is no death certificate. A good crematorium will give you a certificate listing the dog's name and the date of service.
Any pet owner needs to make plans ahead of time. When the time comes, you will not be thinking clearly and may make bad decisions.
One thing I would urge any multiple dog household do is let the other dogs see the deceased dog if at all possible. Otherwise, especially with a dog that has been helped to pass over, the other dogs have no idea what has happened to their companion. They will grieve but it helps them understand.
Our Duke was euthanized at a regional emergency hospital. We bought a casket from the hospital and brought him home one last time so our other two boys could see him. Reg brought him a toy then dropped it and never looked back. Tut sniffed him for the longest time and still looks for him in the corner of one room where Duke always napped. We had Duke cremated and he is with us in an urn we found at a large pet store that has picture frames on the outside.
I lost my wonderful Coyote last August. She would have been 18 that October. I don't expect to live in my current house forever, so burying her and then one day leaving her behind didn't feel right to me. Instead I had her cremated. And I had an individual cremation done, because I was more comfortable with that. I keep the urn by the fireplace, with her old collar next to it, as well as a lock of her fur that I clipped off before the vet put her down.
Although this is slightly off-topic, there were two things I did that really helped me grieve, moreso than I would have expected. Having the lock of fur to just walk over and touch when I needed to was very powerful for me. Also, I gathered up her old photos, scanned them into the computer and made a video of her. I put it up on YouTube to share with my (and her) friends. Making the video provided me with the chance to look at her old pictures and enjoy the memories while having the pleasant diversion of creating something with them.
Coyote's health had declined slowly; so she required a lot of care toward the end of her life. During that time I kept saying I never wanted another dog. After doing the video and remembering all the great years she gave me, I ended up with another corgi within a few weeks of Coyote's death--and I'm getting a second one next week!
We also have a lock of Duke's hair. I am more sensitive to smells so I have it in a bag and open it and smell him when I need a Dukie touch. We have his collar, his favorite toy and a picture of the sunset on the day he passed. It was the most amazing sunset.
We have a movie on Youtube with Dukie in it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D_l98iOfr0 It's called "The Pizza Plan".
When I made my Coyote video, I did a search on YouTube for other corgi videos. I came across yours then, and laughed my butt off. It was very clever. And I love the term "goom mobile".
When you have more than one dog, you need a pack name that you can use to get them all to do something in an emergency, like "Come" so our pack name is Gooms. It's a family joke. So you call "Come Gooms" and they all come or "Stay" etc.
Takes a little training but it's a good thing to have just in case.
Hence the name "Goom Mobile" - it's the van we use when we take the boys anywhere.
That's so funny... we call our pack "The Corgwn Armada". I'm quite certain they are like borg. Resistance to their "cute" is futile.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service