I'm curious as to what brands people use for heartworm medication. I have always used Worm Shield (ivermectin/pyrantel) which is the generic brand of Heartguard. However, upon moving to Oklahoma, I was told that it might not be enough. What brand do you use and what all does it protect your dog from?

Views: 12

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I use Advatage Multi which prevents heartworm, and kills fleas and the four types of intestinal parasites. It's the topical type applied between the shoulder blades once a month. Because I have a little concern about the toxicity of these pesticides, I measure the mimimum effective dosage into a syringe, then take the needle off to apply it to him. But yes, in the South, we have a lot more disease carrying insects and parasites than in cooler climates.
Just out of curiousity, do you vaccinate for lyme disease?
We don't vaccinate for lyme here in this part of Texas. That is interesting....with all the other "creepy crawlers" here, it's not a big area for Lyme disease. I don't know about Oklahoma.
We use "sentinel" by Novartis. Out vet said it prevents heartworm disease and is used to control adult hookworm infections. Sentinel Flavor Tabs protects against heartworms, controls flea populations, hookworm infections, removes and controls adult roundworm and whipworm infections.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service