I am getting my first Corgi next month. My father has 2 and I just love them, so he got me their sister. She is about 6 months old. I have had pets my whole life and always want to give them the perfect care. Is their any special care that I need to give this breed of dog. I know all breeds require different things. I am just not very familiar with this breed. I Am trying to get ready for when I get her.

Views: 72

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I did most of my research on the breed on the internet. I am a first time dog owner, but I had support from friends who have dogs. I'd just do a generic search (Cardigan or Pembroke Welsh Corgi - whichever it is) on Google.com and just start reading your heart out (or brain I guess) - there is A LOT out there to read. Anyways, just read read read! Some major things you might want to know that's specific to the breed is 1) they shed a lot! - Invest in a Furminator (it’s a deshedder tool to minimize shedding by removing the fur before it naturally falls off) and 2) they're prone to joint problems due to their short legs so don’t make them jump off high things - take stair/steps slowly - don't force them to learn that at an early age). Nothing else comes off the top of my head at the moment, except maybe that I'm glad you've decided on a corgi - they're the best…est… ever!
Hello! I just brought my new Corgi puppy home about 3 weeks ago. He is 14 weeks old. I am having a huge problem with his agression. He growls and snapps all of the time. He bit my 3 year old daughter in the face so hard last week it drew blood. I have tried the puppy rolling, but it dosen't seem to work. What shoud I do to get this under control? I do not want him to hurt her, or my other kids seriously. I have a Border Collie who is 20 months old and she is the most laid back dog you could meet. I hope I didn't make the wrong decision in getting a second dog! Let me know if you have any suggestions.
Could you provide more background info? like when did he join the family, how old was he, is in intact, what kind of training he's had so far, activity level...etc?
He joined the family 3 weeks ago. We got him from a shelter. His owners corgi had a litter and he ended up having to move, and didn't want to bring the pups with him. He is now 14 weeks old. He was nutered at 10 weeks. He has plenty of activity. He and my Border Collie are constantly running in our back yard, which is a large area.
ok, thank you for your information. So ozzie is a young pup, who just joined your family recently and he is adapting and creating his own pack order, my advise is, instead of letting him calling the shots, take control and teach him basic puppy manners. One of the best thing you can do is enroll him in a puppy class, come home and practice what you learn from class. This will allow Ozzie to socialize with other dogs and expose to all sizes human.

Surprisingly, most behavior problems can be solved by daily walk, by walking on leash next to you (not in front of you) allows you to build relationship and pack order, it trains the pup to know that he needs to follow you, respect you, that you are in control, not him. By walking him, it eases his stress and drain his energy, it teaches him to pay attention to you and listen for commands. After you take your pups for a walk, he will mellow out and listen to you more, especially when you have treats, use it to your advantage. Never let him walk you or let him take the lead, you can select a command where he can be "free", but besides that time frame, he must obey your every move and command.

Rolling over can be a dangerous technique if used in the wrong situation, you can expose yourself to danger. Teach your daughter to respect the dog as well, corgis cannot be "teased", especially when it comes to their food. Ozzie is still a youngster and being rebellious is to be expected, remember a tired corgi is a well behave corgi. Let us know if you have more specific questions :)
It's a girl she is 7 months old, my father just got her for me last weekend. They said that she was house broke which my father found out she wasn't. Right now at my father's she has 2 of her brother's their so they are all very active and play together. When she gets to my house I have a very hiper 6 month old 1\2 german shephard and 1\2 golden retriever plus 2 kids so she will have a lot to play with. I am planning on having her inside with me but I have 12 acres that she can run and play on.
Yes I have looked onlne and oh my they have so many different things. Although I did learn a lot about them. I am going to keep looking and hopefully everything goes well. Thanks!
Mental stimulation :) They're herding dogs and they need "jobs" to keep them interested. Corgis are tough with stamina, they can run and round the sheeps and cattles. They are even more "mouth" oriented than other breeds, you need to correct their "nipping" behavior at an early age. Corgis are smart grade A students who are extremely motivated by food, use that to your advantage :)
How do we stop the agressive behavior?
Is it aggressive biting or just playing? My Theo would bite my fingers, nose, ears, chin, whatever he could get his teeth on when I would try and play with him. That's what puppies do. They play with their mouths. If your puppy is 14 weeks old, he's probably just playing! They don't know the strength of their jaws or the sharpness of their teeth at that age. You need to teach him that people are squishy and need to be handled with care.

Forget that dominance stuff. You've got a puppy and you've got to teach him what's acceptable behavior and what's not, just like a child. When he plays too rough, say ouch! VERY loud, then stop playing. You should leave the room for a minute or two before coming back and gently playing with him again. Theo took a few weeks to train out of the biting, and he still does it a little bit (but MUCH gentler!). You have to stick to it though. If he bites hard, say ouch and then leave him, or just stop giving him attention. You have to teach him that that behavior gives him the opposite of what he wants.

Also, try teaching him something like "no bite" and "gentle". When Theo would bite I would say. "Ouch! Ugh, ugh. Bad! No bite!" Then I would leave the room, he would cry a bit, I would come back and say "gentle", while I pet him gently. If he got nippy again, I would repeat it. Now Theo knows what "no bite" means, so I don't have to leave the room. I just say "ugh ugh, no bite", and he immediately stops nipping.

It'll take what seems like forever, but it'll be so worth the effort! Trust me!
No, this is agressive bitting. If my daughter leans down to pet or hug him, he snarls and bites, hard.
He is usually pretty good with me, but he also has done the same thing to me as well. I just love him to death, but I need to stop his agressive behavior. I can handle the playful nipping, but the mean snarls and bitting is not good.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service