Milo tore his ACL back in Nov. 2007. He has since undergone surgery - the vet put a fish wire in place of the torn ACL. All his fur has grown back and he has slowly been using that leg. We're afraid that we didn't take him to the vet in time - would he have developed arthritis? He does not really limp anymore but does not put 100% pressure on that leg. Does anyone have any experience with dogs going through surgery and recuperating time?

It has been almost 5 months or so and the vet said he's progressing well. I just want to ask.

Views: 180

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When I was in college my family's cockapoo, Boji, tore the ACLs in both his back legs (he tore one and then after surgery he wasn't using that leg, which put stress on his other back leg and he tore the other one). I know that my step-dad carried the dog around in a blanket for a month or so, since the pup couldn't walk. I don't remember how long it took for him to be totally mobile again, but I know that Boji's back legs were never as strong as they were before his surgery. He was fine when he walked, but if he got really excited and started running, he would use his two back legs together in one solid movement, like a bunny rabbit using both legs in unison. I don't know if the problem was that he injured both legs, which may be different from your experience since Mlio only tore one of his ACLs. All I can tell you is that I am sure you took your pup to the vet in time, and it sounds like he is recovering nicely! Boji had a very happy life after his surgery - his weaker legs didn't seem to compromise his quality of life whatsoever. Happy recovery!
Thank you for responding to my post. I am just very concerned for Milo. He's still so young and has gone through a major surgery. I don't want his other leg to be in the same situation. Is there any exercise or food to strengthen his legs?
Boji was much older than Milo - I think he was around 6 or 7 years old - when he had his surgery, which, along with injuring both at once, probably hindered his healing process and that's why he never got back to 100% afterward. I bet Milo will recover more completly, since he is still so young and healthy. I don't know of any exercises (other than just taking him out for increasingly longer periods of time, to slowly get his leg used to doing normal things again). I know that my parents switched Boji to a fancy diet (it may have even been a raw diet with lots of meat, veggies and vitamins) that helped give him energy and nutrients, after his surgery. Maybe your vet can suggest something? Good luck!

Oh, and apparently cockapoos are prone to tearing their ACLs (I think the issue comes from the cockerspaniel genes, since my dad's cocker also tore his ACL), so maybe they just have weaker knees, which also could have hindered the healing process. Are corgis prone to this kind of injury?
I'm not sure if corgis are prone to it. But with their short legs and Milo's weight, it might have been a factor. But one thing for sure is to watch out for their backs. Corgis have such a long and low back that going up and down the stairs might be a factor. We bought him two little stairs/steps to go up and down the couch and our bed. He uses it and we prefer it that way than jumping and injuring himself.

I didn't know cockapoos are prone to ACL injuries too.
Best thing you can do with a recovering dog is not pay to much attention to it's problem. I know it sound in-sensitive but let me explain. Even though your trying to do the best for your furry pal they dont see things the same as humans do. If you baby them to much they might develop other problems(psychologically). Best thing to do is let him heal at his own pace. Let the dog figure how to work things out on his own. Just be there to support him and help out when he gets in a bind. As long as the surgery was done correctly he will start to use his leg normally more and more as time passes and forget he was ever hurt. Dogs are great as they deal with things as they come up and learn to adapt and overcome as they move on.

Hope that helps

PS I hope your corgi recovers 100%
Thank you, Alfredo. i understand what you mean. I want things to be as normal as it was back then. We're just more careful now so he doesn't tear the other ACL on his other leg. Since it's warming up now, we try to play with him outside more to get the exercise but once we feel he's over exerting, we stop and slow down.

Thank you for all the help, guys. I just want Milo to lead a more fulfilling life despite the surgery.
Hi - I'm new here and found you after Googling "Corgi with torn ACL". Brady, my 4 year old Corgi tore his acl two years ago and had surgery. It was very successful and he recovered great.

However, I just got back from the vet and he tore his other one. I'm so bummed.....he'll now have to have surgery again. That's why I came here as I wanted to see if Corgi's are prone to this?

He's a very healthy and active dog - and runs (playing football) non-stop, which is how I'm sure he did it.

So, thanks for letting me vent. Shannon
Any dog can have their ACL torn. In fact, these happen so often that it seems like almost daily now we are scheduling surgery to repair knees at the clinic I am a technician at. If you are concerned about your dogs recovery, you should bring him to your veterinarian for a general surgery follow up. Be sure that his surgery leg is healing fine and moving fine. You don't want to run the risk of re-injury (which doesn't usually happen, but could) or risking him rupturing the other cruciate ligament in the other leg. Be sure to be following all physical therapy instructions as well -- it's very crucial for the best recovery for this surgery!
Our Cassie is an 11 year old and she tore her ACL on her back l. paw in August 2007 - we had surgery and 6 mos of physical therpay - we still carry her down "slippery" stairs. Last night she and our other Corgi were playing and I think she re-injured the paw. She won't even walk. Off to the vet again... can they do a second surgery?

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service