Okay, so I went to take Merlin to get his nails cut @ Petsmart today. At least that was the intention. I didn't really like the lady that took him (got a weird vibe about her) and I'm guessing Merlin didn't much like her either. The bath went alright as it usually does. However whenever she tried to clip his nails he would turn into a snarling, biting hellhound (completely foreign behavior) She clipped one nail and then said that we'll have to take him to the vet to finish the work because he was being too crazy. Has anybody else had a problem like this?

Views: 793

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh yes! We have a Dane/Lab mix who will NOT allow anyone, even us, to touch his feet. No groomer was able to handle him until we took him to a Grooming school, where the instructor was actually able to use him as an example to the students. They did have to muzzle and restrain him, though.

The other time he was having something done at the vet that required him to go under, and they trimmed his nails then. Now we just take long walks on asphalt at least 3x a week.

I don't know why my normally meek Chester turns into such a monster when it comes to his feet. Weird.
Brody absolutely HATES his feet being touched. Until this winter it wasn't an issue as walking on the asphalt took care of them. I tried to clip his nails (had done it when he was young with no problems). Then he would run even when I was going to clip or file MY nails. Finally took him to Petsmart and I held him while the groomer clipped. She was very fast and while he did show teeth, curled his lip and let us know he wasn't happy with the whole situation I kept a firm grip on him, told him STOP and SETTLE and he came through just fine. Your puppy may need to be muzzled, or just a firm grip (I had my arms around his head / neck) and I knew he wouldn't bite or nip me. Good luck, maybe look for a groomer who isn't wo weird! Ours was very calm, quick and got him done as soon as she could
I always figured that if a total stranger (groomer or veterinarian) could trim my dog's nails, then I should be able to do it myself. So I do clip Charlie's nails every weekend. One weekend I clipped one nail too short, and hurt him, and it took 3 or 4 weeks of trimming with a muzzle on and quite a struggle before he got used to it again and relaxed again so that it's not a big deal now.

If you are wanting to have a groomer or vet do it, you might want to help them. I would get a muzzle so he can't bite anyone. One person needs to cradle his head and block his vision from being able to see his feet. Usually if they can't see their feet and don't see the clipper coming, they only struggle a teeny bit after they hear the "clip" sound, then calm down faster to do the next nail.

In between clippings, try to just play with and massage his feet, daily if possible to help desensitize him. Give him treats for him calmly accepting your handling of his feet.
Kirby is ok when it comes to the groomer clipping his nails. I think the previous owner kept up on this so there was no problem when it came time for me to take him to get his nails clipped he did just fine. Of course this is not his favorite thing to do but he manages just fine. I have noticed however that he does not like for me to rub his back paws. He will let out a lil growl..but not a vicious one where he shows teeth..more of a warning growl. I have examined his paws and they seem to be fine. He walks perfect and sometimes I will sneak a rub in and he will not do anything..he is so weird. I think if he is aware that I am going for the back paws..thats when he gets alarmed.
Many corgis do not like their nails trimmed. We always recommend handling their feet at a very early age to help eliminate this behavior. Some dogs find the restraint techniques most uncomfortable. Others may have been quicked in the past and find this experience most fearful. I would start trying to handle his feet daily and treat him when he is tolerant to this. Increase the time you handle them as he becomes more tolerant. Then try to trim one nail and treat. Increase this practice as he becomes more tolerant. Another option may be to learn to dremmel his nails. Some dogs accept this much more readily. The only other option is to muzzle him to do his nails. Doesnt change the behavior but will get the job done.
I've heard corgis have very sensitive feet. Our other corgi didn't like his nails to be clipped, but he would never snarl or snap, he just went crazy trying to pull away. Eowyn doesn't like her nails to be clipped, but she stands there until its over, only tugging a bit sometimes. Maybe sanding them down could be better, they have a pet sander file thing you could by. (I don't know the name of it sorry) But that might be better. Good luck!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service