I always keep an eye on Petfinder to see if there's a Corgi that I could welcome into my home, and as I look around I see that soooooo many of them are not good with kids. I don't have kids, but I have lots of nephews and nieces that come to visit.

Are they really that bad with kids or is it more likely that they're doing a herding/nipping thing?

Views: 3504

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ella will bark at and tries to herd my son's friends when they run through my house, but is good with my son (10). A small girl maybe 2 or 3 yrs down the road likes to wave at Ella when she walks by, so I will let the girl pet Ella. However I make sure that Ella is sitting and calm first, and I will sit down on the sidewalk and put my arm on her. This way Ella feels secure first, before someone touches her. She had no interaction with kids before we got her, and is still a bit scared of them. But with work she is learning how to act around them.
I coach gymnastics (roughly 60 girls) and one of the first days I got Dakota at age 3 months I had her in the gym, running around and playing with the girls of all ages. She then came back a week or so later and was apart of the day camp at my gym for little kids. As a puppy I had no problems, and she is perfect now with kids of all ages. She never really tries to herd or nip them either. So I suppose it depends on the dog.
My kids are a little older 9,7 and 5 and my corgis are 16 months and 8 months. Both are wonderful with kids. We had a discussion with the kids when we brought KC home last April at 8 weeks old that she was a herding dog and if they ran she would chase them. They learned quickly that if she did chase them and nip that they were to stop tell her no and not play with her for a few minutes. She does still occasionally herd my oldest but this has turned into a private thing between the two of them and she never bites him and all he has to do is stop and tell her no and she stops. Taz has never been inclined to herd anyone or anything lol, he is a little cranky if he is laying down and somebody bothers him. But has never bitten anyone, usually just growls and tells them to back off. All of the kids that come into our house or that are around our dogs are told that he is warning them and they need to leave him alone. Both dogs LOVE the attention of the kids, theirs and anybody elses. We had a yard sale last weekend and KC was "chewing us out" for making her stay in the kennel instead of letting her out to greet all of those people that she was sure were coming over just to see HER. Now our Aussie is a lot more stand offish and takes a long time to warm up to people but is actually better with the younger kids then the older ones as far as letting them into his "bubble" as we call it. None of our dogs have ever bitten anyone, or offered too. We have at least eight other kids that are relatives, friends, whatever, that come and go at our house and they are all part of the pack. In fact my dogs are as protective of the other kids as they are of our kids when it comes to someone they don't know being around or talking to the kids. I would be more concerned about my dogs doing something to an adult who tried to mess with a kid then a kid.
I had heard varied stories about whether or not corgis were good family pets or not, my aunt had one who was not fond of anyone but her. The breeder I got both of mine from says that pretty much all of her pups have went to family homes and love it. I think it all boils down to how you socialize your dog and how you "train" not only the dog but the kids they come in contact with. We took KC to a family reunion last month with 50 people she had never met half of which were kids of all ages and we just said that they needed to pay attention to her and she was never left alone without one of the five of us with her. She was in Heaven.
That's sad :( sounds like those corgis that are put up came from bad environments, and that they aren't good with kids would be a good assumption. However I'm sure you could reverse the damage with several months of patient correction and transistion.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service