We adopted a 13 wk old Pembroke/Cardigan mix yesterday and are currently using a hand-me-down carrier. She's going to outgrow it pretty fast we imagine (it's 22" long) and are looking into purchasing one that she can use as she grows. What brands do you recommend? There's an inexpensive crate on Amazon called "Crate Appeal" has anyone used this brand or heard anything about it? We're also debating whether to get an airline style crate or a metal one. Both of our families are 3-4 hrs by plane from us, so I'm sure at some point she will be traveling with us. Please let me know your suggestions! Thanks

Views: 197

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Lisa, here's an answer from 3 days ago. Here's an old thread on air travel.

I'd get a 36" length crate so she won't grow out of it.

This is the crate I have for Luke, the large size. It was cheaper in the store than online. It says it's approved for airline travel and that the side parts are unbreakable, but I think they are still some type of plastic. I think the vari-kennel brand might use metal side parts, but they're quite a bit more expensive.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/ASPCA-Kennel-Aire-Pet-Carrier-Cats-Dogs-S...

What have people been using to divide the space when the pup is too small for it? That's the main reason we're not sure about the plastic style crates.
Hi Lisa, you really can't divide a plastic crate, may be something indestructible to take up the extra space? Either way, you'll have to dissemble the plastic crate when your pup soil it. (guaranteed) For air travel, you really need one that is airline approved, read my link above and understand why I picked mine for air travel. My recommendation for you is buy 2 (wire / plastic), the tradition wire crate offers sliding pans that allow you to hose off the mess without dissembling the crate.

Luke never soiled his crate or pen area when he was little, so I didn't bother to divide his crate. It only takes like 2 minutes to pop the pins out and take the top off though if you needed to clean it. I've seen people use sturdy cardboard boxes or even rubbermaid containers to make them smaller inside, but it really depends on how much of a chewer your dog is. My first dog despised his wire crate as a puppy which is why we went with the plastic one for Luke.

Right now she's chewing a decent amount. She hasn't gone for furniture or cords yet, but I wonder about the wire crate now that you mention it. A rubbermaid container sounds like it might be a good idea.
a pembroke/cardigan mix?? i'm so curious! please post more pictures asap!! =) =)
SHe is SOOOOOO cute! Enjoy all the puppy fun, (it helps make up for the puppy naughties)
soooo cute! i love it!! =)
Oh my word he is so precious!!  Post more pics!
Here's another question. She's currently pulling her food out of the crate to eat (one/a few pieces at a time). If she is in an adult sized crate will she be more willing to eat in it or just more likely to pee in it?

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service