Does my corgi looks like a full breed pembroke?

Our Corgi's name is Ein, he's 7 1/2 months old. This morning my boyfriend and I realized that his legs are really long for a corgi. Last week I saw a full grown corgi that is shorter. He is also able to jump on high things, over 3 ft high. He loves to jump up to our bed with no problem and jumping off it. I was wondering if anyone can help me figure this out. We still love him no matter what but we would like to know if the breeder that we got him from lied to us or not. Any thoughts would be much appreciated =)

Thank you all for the responses.

Views: 10091

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

About how old would you expect a full coat to be in? Oppy's turning 1 next week and he looks unusually long and slender. We're pretty sure he'll fill out eventually, but he sure hasn't yet :p
Yes, remember he is still just a puppy. . My friend that whelped our puppies and has tons of knowledge as a breeder and dog show judge just says "put a paper bag over their head and don't look at them until they are a year old".......that is in response to how much they change in looks as they are growing and maturing....
not sure about his legs being long, just looks light chested, which would give the appearance of longer legs to me. Otherwise, aside from the light build nothing screams cross to me.
Yep, that's what I was thinking. Jack's chest is massive and gives the illusion of a shorter leg than he has, but if you look at the length of the leg itself it's longer than it appears.
I don't see a mix, just a very leggy and light Pem. The things that are the most difficult to maintain when you're breeding corgis are the contradictory long body/short legs (you're pushing the body longer but the legs shorter, which is very tough to do right) and the correct head. If breeders don't work really hard to keep both, one of the first things that's lost is the short leg and the head gets longer and coarser too. Your Ein and the many corgis like him are the result
David's remark is spot-on. If you can go back through early English corgi books, you will see a great difference between today's AKC standard and the early types out of very respectable kennels: Rozavel, Lisaye, Bowhit, Lees and the granddaddy of them all Crymmych President. I think it was Margorie Butcher of Cote de Neige who was probably the foundation kennel/stock of the now more prevalent American standard. And John's statement is very wise - they do come in all shapes and sizes and we happily love them for what they are. Some of the corgi early farming/working stories are remarkable and underscores the great attributes of the corgi.....
yup all corgis are unique. For example Romeo has two different color eye and his ears are bigger than most corgis. But Ein is def a pembroke corgi
It definitely may be that he is a little young and lanky. My Didi had a look for the longest of being oddly long legged, or lacking a deep chest, becuase her neck and check fur never grew out until she was a big girl. He may look very different in a few months.
Wrigley also has very long legs, I'm not sure if he is full Corgi or not.
corgi's come in many different shape and sizes.
My parent's 1st corgi has longer legs than my current dog.
thanks for all the responses =).. i do think that he just need a little more time to grow into his full size. He is a very hyper dog tho, he love to jump on and off things very often.. and he tends to bite (not nip) .. he won't bite down just put his teeth on you.
anyone have a suggestion on how i can get him to listen? he's very smart but it seems that he doesn't understand what "no" means.. he takes everything as a joke.. hehehe
Have you taken to a professional trainer ?

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service