Ace is going to be a year old in May, how time flies! He has always been a little gentleman, but these days I am just beaming with pride for him. I have been working on his socialization every single day - we walk for 25 minutes to the city centre, we sit at the fountain in the square for 20 minutes, and let people come up to him. It's tough for him, but I never push him more than he's willing to go. Today he made a huge breakthrough - he sniffed someone's extended hand! Previously, he'd shy away and not even dream about approaching them. I am so very happy.

So with that in mind, that I am a dedicated dog owner and love training and working with dogs, I have given a lot of serious thought to getting a second one. Firstly to be Ace's companion - Ace LOVES the ladies. And not in that way! All his playdate "girlfriends" have been females, and of all sizes as well - from a tiny French Bulldog puppy, to a beautiful 6 year old white German Shepherd. I am considering the idea of getting a spayed, retired/"didn't show well" adult Cardigan female.

Ace would be thrilled. He longs for a playmate at home - all three of my Bengal cats just tolerate his presence, nothing more. I can keep him entertained, sure, and I love playing with him. But seeing him play with his girlfriends just makes me realize that he has a whole 'nother tier of energy that he can't exploit when he's with me. Dogs playing with each other are just magical to watch.

Anyway, so my husband is pretty much the opposite of me in this regard. He believes that two dogs is twice more work, and twice the headache. While I agree that financially, it does double, I do not believe that it will equate to time spent doubling as well. I am keen to walk them together to the fenced-in park for games of Fetch and Keep Away, as well as into the city centre for socializing. I am the one doing the entirety of the clicker training, and I think a lot can be learned when training one dog while the other sits quietly and observes.

What has bringing a second Corgi into your home done for you? Has it really required twice more of the time invested? Do the dogs burn excess energy through play time with each other, or does that cease when the novelty of meeting each other wears off?

Views: 1536

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When Baxter was just about 2 y.o., we got an 8 week old puppy. I think having two dogs is great. I wouldn't want to change that for anything, but there are somethings to consider. Like Beth said, I think you do lose some of the intense bonding. Baxter is so bonded to me, it might actually be closer to co-dependence. Ziggy (puppy) is very independent. At first it seemed like Ziggy bonded more on to Baxter than he did to me.

I do agility with Baxter and that in itself takes up a lot of time. To even it out, I do obedience training and minor agility stuff with Ziggy. This can take up a lot of my time. So, I really think it depends on how much training you do with your dogs cause it can get to be time consuming.

Walking on a leash can also be quite an experience if one dog is better on the leash than another. Our puppy is still learning to walk on a leash properly. Because Baxter knows how, it's not so bad, but at first leash juggling/untangling was like an Olympic sport. =)

Fail not to heed your inner voice, it knows you need corgis. Resistance is futile.

I must... obey...

I'm already a bit of a cat lady myself, with three Bengals. After getting Ace, though, I would definitely feel comfortable calling myself a dog person. I love 'em all equally, but something about dogs is just "more" than what I ever could get out of my kitties.

They all are teachers and they have different lessons to teach....

Get that corgi get that corgi....

We actually got Kadi because our Boston Terrier has been so lonely after we had to put our Newfie down. Having her made him a 'young dog' again. (He's 9). And now suddenly we have Brodie, who showed up and invited himself in. Kipper wasn't so fond of him at first, but he's adjusting. Kadi, on the other hand was THRILLED to have someone younger to play with. She has been super at teaching our 'routine' to Brodie. He watches her and follows her lead. I don't think having a third is even harder--it's easier!

Yes Chris, if you know what you're doing, third one's a piece of cake! 

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service